Chapter 18: Rivalry

"... and I missed you, ok?"

Lucy blushed and began playing with her blonde locks, "Did you really? You're joking right?"

"I missed you Lucy Heartfillia!" He shouted from the other side of the line.

"Cut it out Sting!" Lucy began laughing and pacing up down and around her hotel room, thankful that everyone was outside.

"Which is why, I flew over and I'll be there in a couple of minutes." His deep voice suddenly became an octave higher.

"Are you for reals right now?"

Sting nodded his head excitedly from the white range rover he was on, "Real as I can get."

"What about school?"

"I took a few days off, it's not fair your school got to come here!" Sting pouted.

Lucy rolled her eyes at his childish behavior, "Ok, just text me when you're here. Want to hang out at the beach? It's like really close by."

"It's a date then!" Sting grinned and felt bold for saying that. 'Smooth'.

Lucy simply chuckled before hanging up.

xXx

Sting spotted Lucy exiting the hotel building that she was staying at. He blushed as she came into view. Her simple white lace dress loosely flowed down her thin, delicate frame.

Lucy suddenly felt insecure, she hadn't worn any makeup; something she always did, and she hadn't put too much thought on her outfit.

"W-what?" Lucy asked, a frown on her face as Sting said nothing and continued to stare at her with wide blue eyes. She took a step towards Sting, who slowly lowered down to the ground, and sat down. He brought his knees to his chest and wrapped his arms around himself.

"It's just that," Sting smiled as his vivid eyes made eye contact with Lucy, "You're so beautiful, I can't even stand."

Her heart missed a beat and she contemplated on whether she should sit next to him or not, "Thank you." And she grabbed his hand and gestured for him to follow her to the beach.

Though, they didn't know that photographers were were lurking around and that they had snapped a picture of them together, making it seem like they were dating. They didn't know that it would later spark false rumors and misconceptions.

'I wonder where everyone else is' Lucy wondered. She knew Jellal and Erza were hanging out with Gray, Juvia and Levy at a nearby park, but didn't know if they were still there.

"Do you want to go for a swim?" Sting asked.

"No, I'm fine I-," She felt her heart sink because she knew she would have to lie, "I can't swim, that's why." She frowned and closed her eyes.

"Do you want to go on a walk then? I didn't want to go swim anyways." Sting politely smiled.

"S-sure." Lucy stammered suddenly not knowing where to place her hands, so she simply let the casually flow down her sides. Her phone started ringing, and she answered without even looking at her contact.

"HI LUCY." Natsu shouted from the other side of line, before burping. "Sorry, I just finished eating some brunch."

"Really? Tell me more!" Lucy sarcastically replied in a monotone.

"If you insist." Natsu chuckled.

"Well I don't so bye,-"

"Nononono. Wait!" He pleaded, "Do you want to hang out right now? All of my friends are with their girlfriends." He sighed, shaking his head.

"Uh ... maybe later? Just not right now... " She trailed off after making quick eye contact with Sting. He covered his ears, as a gesture to let her know that he wasn't listening to her conversation. She glared at him, which made him gasp.

"But I'm not!" He whined and crossed his arms.

"Who was that?" Natsu asked, sounding alarmed.

Lucy smirked, "Just a friend..." Though, Sting heard, but he shrugged it off and refused to take it seriously.

"Is it a guy?"

"Yeah, he's my best friend." Lucy nudged Sting's chest with her elbow.

"Oww!" He whispered, not trying to interrupt Lucy's call. Afterall, he respected Lucy.

The other side of the line went silent, "Are you with Sting?" Natsu firmly asked. He was laying on his bed, without a shirt because he had picked up Gray's bad habit of stripping, and his salmon locks were shadowing over his green eyes.

"Yeah, why?"

The line hung up.