The Tree: George Harrison (Beatles)

You frowned as your one and only friend George took your hand and dragged you through the park. School was out now, and your six-year-old self was excited to play on the teeter totter with him like you two normally did, but he insisted on taking you somewhere else for a minute or two. There was a short argument, but eventually you gave in like you usually did. George after all was a year and a half older than you, and you didn't want him to leave you for some wiser, cooler girl. Of course you knew he wouldn't because you were the only one he ever spoke to, but you figured it was always best to take the safe route just in case.

"Where are we going, Georgie?" You asked grumpily.

George turned around just long enough for you to see his brow furrow before returning his determined focus in front of him.

"I told you it's a surprise, Kitty." He replied. You exaggerated a groan and continued the rest of your journey in silence. The playground was quite some distance away now, the playful shrieks of the other kids barely audible. The two of you were near the far end of the park that not many chose to stroll by; mainly because there wasn't much in it. No benches, no swings, no playground equipment. Just a large oak tree smack in the middle of a grassy field overlooking the wide river that ran through the area. George stopped, in turn making you stop, and turned to face you. His large brown eyes were sparkling with glee.

"I present to you, Kitty Opperman, our very own tree." He announced with a regal tone. You chuckled and nudged him in the side playfully.

"That's neat Georgie, but what are we supposed to do with a tree?" You asked. Your friend ruffled your short hair and took a running start towards the large tree.

"Climb it, silly!" He replied, jumping and climbing up the trunk with ease. Even though you were fairly young you hadn't actually climbed a tree before, but you figured if Georgie could do it, then you could do it, too. Copying him, you took a running start and then flung yourself at the trunk. What you forgot to do was hold your hands out in front of you to grab it, and you ended up flying backwards from the impact and landing roughly on your bum. George had been watching you the entire time, but he tried to hold back his laughter. You were extremely embarrassed and did your best to make sure tears didn't well up in your eyes. George swung down from his high perch and outstretched his arm towards you.

"Here, let me help you up." He said.

You smiled gratefully and stood up, taking his arm. Surprisingly George was able to pull you up with little difficulty and plopped you down on the sturdy limb he was sitting on.

"Looks like I'll have to teach you some things about climbing trees." He teased.

You glared at him and punched his arm. "I can climb a tree just fine!" You protested.

George giggled and shook his head. "Whatever you say, missy."

Silence hung over the both of you. It wasn't awkward; it never was with him. You just looked at each other for a while. It wasn't the first time, but there was something unusual about it. It was the look in George's eyes, you noticed. They were big and brown like they normally were, sure, but it was something inside them that changed. It was warm and fuzzy feeling, like kittens as you compared it to. You didn't realize that George had been moving closer to you because of how focused you were on his eyes until you felt his lips on yours. Your eyes were wide, but his were squeezed shut for the millisecond he put his mouth against yours. When he broke away from you, you continued to stare at him, dumbfounded. George's cheeks were crimson and he tore his gaze from yours. A million thoughts were circling your tiny head. Why did he do that? Is that what friends normally do? Were you going to get cooties? When he did what he did, you felt a surge of electricity pump through your body, and you weren't exactly sure if it was good or bad. Maybe boys were made of zappy stuff that stung you when they put their lips on yours? Eventually you gathered the strength to speak, but the words came out a bit shaky.

"W-what was that?" You asked.

He kept his eyes low and let his short legs swing below him.

"Itwasakiss..." George mumbled.

A kiss. You thought of how Mom and Dad kissed each other. It was confusing to you why they kissed, and you did ask your mom why she did.
"Because I love your daddy very much. She had said.

"Why did you do that?" You asked him curiously.

George scratched his neck. "'Cause...I think you're pretty." He replied timidly. Your hand met your cheek, feeling the warmth against your skin. This was the first time a boy had ever called you pretty, but it meant a lot more because it was George who said it. You smiled widely and grabbed his face to make him look at you, then planted a smooch on his cheek.

"Well I think you're pretty too, Georgie." You said genuinely.

George blushed more and giggled nervously.

"Want to play on the teeter totter now?" He asked. You nodded vigorously and he helped you off the tree. The two of you walked back towards the park hand-in-hand with loopy grins on your faces. It wouldn't be the last time you and George would visit the tree, for there were many more memories to be made there.