He Was The One All Along: Ringo Starr (Beatles)

"An-And then he said we should just break up and forget we ever happened!" You cried into your hands. You and Ringo sat on your bed, his arm around your shoulders comfortingly as you spilled the gut wrenching details of your split with your boyfriend. The guy was a total tool and Ringo had even warned you about that, but you were so excited when he asked you to be his girl that you hardly even thought about it. How could you think about it? The guy was undeniably handsome, with chiseled features and buff physique. Things were bumpy from the very beginning, but you figured they’d settle themselves out after a few weeks.  Unfortunately, they never really did, but you were so hopeful and so “in love” that you stuck around for quite a while. Almost a year to be exact. After a heated argument, your now ex-boyfriend had called you horrible, unspeakable names and called it quits, but not before throwing you out of the apartment you shared.

         You were surprised that Ringo didn’t scream “I told you so!” at the top of his lungs when you showed up at his door with tears flooding down your cheeks; in fact he was actually the opposite. He immediately let you inside and sat you down in the privacy of his room, where you explained the whole story of your break up.

        Ringo rubbed his hand up and down your back in soft circles and held you close to his chest. “That’s horrible, (Y/N). I’m sorry.” he said softly.

        You shook your head. “You shouldn’t be sorry. I should ha-have listened to you when you said he was a jerk.” You said, your voice muffled by his shirt.

        Ringo shushed you, shaking his head into the side of your neck. “It’s okay. There are plenty of other lads out there that’d be dying to have you.” he said.

        You snorted dryly. He was only saying that to make you feel better. Surely you were to remain single the rest of your life. There was just about nothing that could convince you Ringo was right. In your eyes, you were practically dirt. Worthless. He seemed to catch on that you didn’t believe him.

        “I mean it, (Y/N). That tool of a boyfriend you had didn’t deserve you. There are more deserving men, y’know, who would treat you right.”

        You still weren’t convinced. “Like who? Name one person who would waste their time on a girl like me.” You grumbled.

        And to your astonishment he replied, “I would.”

        You pulled yourself out of his arms and looked at him with your puffy eyes. His bright blue ones looked back at you with a hopeful gleam.

        ‘’I, I mean I know I’m not as handsome or as fit as your ex, but I would sure as hell treat you better than he ever would. Because the difference between me and him is that I actually care about you. You are more amazing and beautiful than you give yourself credit for, and I would show you just how much if you gave me the chance.”

        Your lips curled into a surprising smile so wide it stung the corners of your cheeks. He was your friend, but maybe he was the one you were supposed to be with all along. Ringo was always there through thick and thin, and he had always treated you with the utmost respect. It took you all until now to see that he was the one for you.

        You gently cupped his face in your hands. Seeing the shock in his sparkling eyes made you chuckle, but it dissolved as you closed the space between the two of you and gave him a soft kiss. It wasn’t a long, passionate one, it didn’t need to be. It was enough to tell him that you were giving him the chance he wanted.

        When you pulled away, Ringo smiled his goofy little smile you were so fond of seeing. He didn’t say anything; he only smiled. And then he pressed his lips against yours again, making you smile even goofier than he had. It was the first, but certainly not the last, time that Ringo made you feel like you were the luckiest girl in the world.