Chapter 9

Harper stopped running half the way to her house as she took deep breaths.

"Ow," She held her cheek in pain, even though Ronda was as skinny as a stick she could still pack a punch. She closed her eyes groaning before opening them to a poking on her shoulder, "Malcolm?!" She yelled confused, Malcolm looked up at her with a tired smile.

"Hey, Harp," He said before straightening himself up and extending his hand with the paper within it, "You kinda dropped this and rejected my brother." Harper grabbed the piece of paper noting that it was her secret admirers. Malcolm looked her in the eyes, she looked up at him as tears flooded her hazel hues.

"I'm sorry," She said wiping a tear with her dirty sweater sleeve, "I just haven't talk to you in a while." She explained, Malcolm felt his chest clench as he reached for her hand.

"Harper!" They both turned to see Reese running towards them, Harper couldn't help but feel distraught, "Why did you run? You didn't even say anything?" He said out of breath, Harper looked down.

"I'm sorry, Reese," She started looking him in the eyes, "But I don't like you, I like someone else." She answered, Reese sighed rubbing the back of his head.

"I know," He says meeting Harper's eyes with his blue, "I know that you like Malcolm." Harper's face reddened.

"Reese!" She shouted before glancing at Malcolm whose face was slightly pink as he stared at her, she looked down hoping that her rejection would be quick and swift.

"Um, Reese could you give us a minute?" He asked, Harper clenched her hoodie sleeves, "Harper." He said walking closer to her, she stopped him as she looked up with tears spilling from her eyes.

"It's okay, Malcolm, I know you don't like me." That's when Malcolm grabbed her hands, she looked at him confused.

"Harper Day," She flinched slightly at the mention of her full name, "The days that I wasn't with you made me realize something," He began holding her hands closer, her eyes widened knowing where she had heard those words or rather, seen, "I like you, I like how you always listen to my selfish requests, I like how you're always there for me, I like how you hair looks when it's down, and I like the way your eyes sparkle in the light." He said a look of confidence on his face, Harper smiled as her her tears slowly began to dry.

"Me too."