Chapter 54: A Trap

"Mommu Sang to me today."

Sarpanit looked up, after sealing the wooden crate shut and neatly labelling it with the names of the contents. "Did he, now?"

"He said he and Enlil have a plan." Tia grunted as she lifted one of the heavier boxes of bandages and swabs. She turned her head, looking for the relevant crate, and spotted it at the far end of the room. "They are planning to meet up with us." She slid the heavy goods onto the ground with another grunt.

"And what have you told him of Gwent's plans?"

"Nothing; I only told him that we are also preparing to retaliate."

Sarpanit was silent as Tia climbed on the worktop again and reached up for the extra padding and tape. She stood carefully on the tip of her right foot, her left stretched out behind her to maintain her balance. Collecting her target, she hopped down, dumping it into the first crate.

"Why hasn't he contacted you before this?"

"I told you." Tia shrugged. "He said he is having difficulty remaining undetected. He said the Mawlinese are still everywhere, searching for him. I think they still know he is alive."

"I'm sure they do." Sarpanit's voice was stony.

"And he cannot flee to Gwent because he will not leave Enlil, and Enlil will not abandon the freed slaves."

"And what does Mawlin have in mind?"

"Mommu said their Caster predicts a sandstorm coming and they will use that to invade Gwent via the Nabudice Desert in the north, with the sand as its cover–"

Tia's relay was interrupted by a bark of incredulous laughter.

"What?" She stared.

"You really have no idea?" The princess raised her eyebrows. "You really don't! The Nabudice Desert is a hopeless stretch of barren land – I suppose you were too exhausted to notice. There is nothing there. You can see Mawlin from Sciennes and that's a good three days' ride from the border. The only plausible route is via Ptarmigan Fortress and Elder Down."

"I am only telling you what Mommu said."

"Mawlin cannot invade us from that route; we'll see them from miles away."

"I am only telling you what Mommu said!" Tia repeated, jutting her chin out. "I believe in him."

Sarpanit was quiet for several seconds.

"I'll relay your message to Papa," she said with finality. "I only hope you're not mistaken."

"You doubt me?" Tia said, defensive. The older girl shook her head, an unreadable expression on her heart-shaped face.

****

They were prepared. Gwent lacked resources; that much had been clear from the start. However, looking at the hundreds of thousands of men clad in leather armour, swords, bows, and shields in their arms, Tia couldn't help but feel awed by the unity before her.  What they lacked in power, they made up for in numbers. What they lacked in resources, they made up for with faith and determination. Every able man had volunteered himself to become a soldier, although some had to grudgingly accept their roles as messengers, couriers, stock-watchers, and lookouts instead. Even the children were prepared, although Lahar was reluctant to make any youngster fight unless it was necessary – to the indignation of many a youngster.

"Should we older men fall, we have to rely upon you to carry on the legacy and run Gwent," he said gently to another protest. "When we fight, the country rests in your hands and the hands of other young men. We all have our roles to play."