Chapter 31: The Rebellion

"You understand it was per protocol of the king."

Swift as the wind, Tia melted into the shadows, finding a place to hide.  She heard the rustle of straw as Enlil withdrew from the door.

There were next to no hiding spots. She panicked, eyes squinting in the near-pitch darkness. Candlelight coming down the stairwell highlighted her time running out.

Her hands ran over the smooth, cool surface of a wooden table and felt the space beneath it. No, it would be too obvious. Her foot nudged the wooden stool next to it and a gasp lodged itself in her throat.

She could see the shadows of the approaching men.

Her outreached hands made contact with another smooth wooden structure, standing at a height greater than her. Her fingers slipped into cold metal handles and the cupboard door opened with a quiet squeak. She swallowed with great difficulty and eased herself in, willing for the old wood not to creak or give her position away.

Luckily it made no sound as she pulled the door shut, plunging herself into pitch blackness.

Blood pounded in her ears and her heart was beating at such a rate she was sure everybody in the dungeons could pinpoint her hiding spot. She forced herself to breathe and to ignore her trembling limbs as she slid into a crouching position, her ears pressed to the door.

"Of course, and I am fully supportive of your actions, good minister," a deep voice was saying. "But I have to say, without my assistant, I would not be able to get through the work King Ea expects of we Windcasters; that would be most unfortunate, no?"

Tia suddenly recognised the speaker.

"You are right as always, Master Anu," said a second voice, apologetic. "As long as you ensure such an incident will not occur again, we would not dare hinder your work."

"I will be sure."

The Master's presence would at least guarantee her safety; although it was difficult gauge the consequences she would have to face for her reckless antics.

"Very well, then allow me to fetch the keys from the cupboard."

Tia froze. They couldn't possibly mean her cupboard?

She slowly moved to her knees and something tugged at her.

Biting her lip, she pulled again. Her stomach plummeted.

In her haste to close the cupboard door, she had trapped the hem of her cloak in the door. On the other side, a slip of the dark material would be obvious once the candlelight reached her hiding spot and give her away.

She couldn't risk another tug without moving the door. If the guard opens it and finds her, Master Anu's apprentice, hiding there...

Just when she thought she might burst an artery, Master Anu spoke again.

"That is all right. I shall fetch the keys. Please excuse us, gentlemen."

"Are you sure, Master Anu?" There was doubt in the guard's voice. "It is against protocol to leave an esteemed person with a convict."

"My assistant has not yet been convicted of crime."

"Of course, sir." They retreated up the stairs. As the footsteps died away, Tia allowed herself a sigh of relief. She thought she was about to keel over from the stress.

She squealed as the wooden cupboard opened without warning and was blinded by the candlelight. She squinted upwards, shielding her eyes with a trembling hand.