Chapter 16: Runaway

She slipped on her cloak quietly and fastened it at the front. Her feet slid into her leather boots and at the same time she reached for her satchel. Her left hand pulled her hood up, covering her head. The fancy, thick curtains the inn provided blocked out almost all of the morning sunlight, but if she squinted she could convince herself there were two unmoving bumps on the other side of the room: one on the other bed and the other on the floor. She tiptoed towards the exit, hand reaching out into the darkness for the smooth surface of the wooden door.

Her fingers touched something soft and warm.

"And where are you going, Tiamat?"

Her heart nearly popped out of her ribcage. She gave a shriek of surprise as she leapt backwards, putting distance between herself and the speaking object standing between her and freedom. Scrabbling behind in a panic for the curtains and ripping them open, her wide eyes rested on Enlil as sunlight streamed through with a blinding intensity. The boy squinted but there was no mistaking the disapproving downward curve of his lips.

"I–I–" she spluttered, trying to figure out an excuse as her heart palpitated. Her satchel had fallen at his feet when she'd leapt away and her hood had also slipped off.

"You promised the Master you would not seek frivolities, Tiamat!"

Mommu stirred on the bed, blinking blearily at the two.

"I have lived a sheltered life, Enlil. You keep telling me that!" She couldn't keep the snappy tone out of her voice. "How can you expect me to be a more educated, worldly being if I am to stay within high walls for the rest of my life? I want to live my life! I want to see the world!" Her voice rose in both pitch and volume. Tia stamped her foot. Her cheeks burned. Stupid Enlil! Why could he not have stayed asleep? "What is the point of taking me to Kiramone if I am expected to just study indoors, like some lady?"

"We are not here to seek thrills, Tiamat! We are here to accompany and assist the Master." Enlil's voice was straining.

"And we are! But he is busy and we are not! So why can we not enjoy our time?"

"You cannot look after yourself. What if people like those bandits we came across were to capture you?" He began to lose his calm. He was still standing in front of her; his makeshift bed of sheets and a pillow was kicked aside as he barred her way to the outside world.

"I saved you from them, had you forgotten?" she snapped, tilting her chin upwards defiantly.

"What's going on?" Alerted, Mommu sat up at last, rubbing his eyes. Tia gave him a furious look, brushed her brown fringe out of her eyes, and stamped her foot again.

"Make Enlil move, Mommu. I am going out."

"No, you are not," Enlil enunciated, staring down at her. She glared right back, disregarding how broad and muscular he had become. "Master said you are not to engage in frivolities. He also said none of us are to be without each other at any time."

"Then come with me and–and eat or something," she begged, changing tactics. She turned a sorrowful face to Mommu, who leant back with a wary look. She knew when she pleaded with her big, long-lashed eyes like that it was impossible for anyone with a heart to disagree with her.

Although it seemed Enlil had no qualms about rejecting her outright.

"No is no, Tiamat." His voice was steely. She cursed to herself. Just then, there was a knock at the door. Enlil turned and in two long strides opened it, revealing a beaming face.

"Good mornin', sirs!" the boy squeaked, holding up three bowls of steaming soup and hard bread. It was relatively early but Anshar already looked like he had been working for a few hours. "Mister Lahmum instructed to bring breakfast up to yous, I 'ope this is enough!"