Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

“How was the pie?” His masculine voice vibrated within the four corners of her mind as Charlotte stared in a wide eyed trance into Lord William’s face, the insolent and exasperating man. Charlotte’s eyes darted down to his lips, those full sensual lips, capable of inflicting sweet pleasures and sweeter torment, both at the same time.

“Delicious.” Charlotte breathed. “It’s rather delicious… my lord.”

 She was later stunned as he casually brushed the crumbs on her lips and rather daringly glanced lower to stare at the remaining morsel that had fallen on her décolletage. Then he quickly looked up to her eyes and grinned rather mischievously.

“I agree completely.” He smiled and allowed himself another glance of her chest. “I sampled one myself on my way up the stairs.”

“Did you my lord?” Charlotte countered, raising one brow higher than the other.

“I did.” He whispered.

“My lord?” Charlotte felt her voice shook slightly, plagued by nerve which stemmed from their intimate nearness.  “Must you sit so close to me?” Charlotte squirmed nervously in her seat, eyes looking up the marquess.

Lord William grinned and leaned close to feed her a red strawberry dripping with a generous dab of cream. Unable to refuse him and simply too astonished to say anything, Charlotte parted her lips and bit the fruit. Lord William leaned in closer, caught a drip of juice running from her lips with his finger. Boldly, he opened his mouth and sucked his finger while looking into her eyes.

“Yes my Lady Charlotte, I must.” He muttered his answer in a husky whisper which made her heart flutter nervously and warmth crept into her cheeks. Then as swiftly he had infiltrated her sanctuary, Lord William got onto his feet, bowed to her and left.

Taken aback by his abrupt departure Charlotte’s hand flew to her throat and barked for Fanny to fetch one of her silk fans for Charlotte suddenly felt her body unseasonably warm, for some reason unknown.

For the last three years of his life William of Sheldrake and Downshire had been roaming the highlands of Scotland, purely to his own pleasures. He had come to know Ireland while growing up and left the island for England when he was thirteen. After his father died during his studies in Eton William decided to remain in London before enrolling into prestigious St. Andrews University in order to complete his studies. After his academic experience concluded, William embarked on the traditional grand tour which lasted for five years in total. He arrived on the London dock; fresh from his conquest in Vienna just in time for his sister’s wedding as the Marquess of both Sheldrake and Downshire, seven and twenty years old. After his reconciliation with his estranged grandfather, William floundered between Dublin, London and Edinburgh until three years ago, he landed in Northumberland with the promise of a weeklong romp with his mistress, the lovely Regina Caldwell.

Regina was eager and lovely, married to an old, deaf Northumberland baron. So basically she was rich, attractive and most importantly, she was lonely. Other than that, William found Regina to be the most pleasant of all his mistresses: she was delightfully opened minded for her sex. She did not care if he had just sated his lust in another woman’s arms twenty hours prior to coming to her bed or why on earth he had not called since their rendezvous a fortnight ago.  She was just eager to peel his pants off and surrender to his ravishing.

When Regina had penned him a letter saying that she would be attending the soiree, William immediately packed his bags for the week in Northumberland, his wayward mind already conjuring various images of the baroness in various state of undress. The estate of the Marquess of Linford who was hosting the gathering was impressive and expansive, covering hundreds of acres of land. The gardens were well kept and featured a secluded maze constructed for lazy afternoon’s pleasures. William himself had experienced the maze’s delights firsthand with Regina during a picnic affair while everybody else partaken in luncheon.