Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

          “You fools!” He shouted to his men, glaring at them and cursing under his breath. He was the picture of anger and he was taking it out on them. “Did I not give you direct orders to capture her?!” The men looked around uneasily. “Who was it? Who was it that failed me?” Again, they were uncomfortable. The leader glared at them, looking each one in the eye. “Where is he?” The men looked confused. “Where is Zna?” He asked, frustration dripping from his words. 

          A man opened his mouth but immediately closed it when one of his comrades gave him a look. The leader looked between them. “Iryo? Do you have something to say?”

          The man looked at him wide-eyed. “No, Captain Kavoc, sir.” He stood as straight as a board and refused to make direct eye contact with his captain. 

          Kavoc narrowed his eyes. “Iryo, if you have something to say, share it.” He demanded in a sharp voice. His dark brown, almost black hair was pulled back into a short pigtail and his high arched eyebrows gave him a menacing look. To add to it, a long scar started at his left temple and slanted downwards to end at the right corner of his lip. 

          “Captain Kavoc, Zna was sent to the Tower Prison.” Iryo’s comrade said. Tower Prison was the prison for criminals arrested by royal decree. 

          Kavoc smiled; it was a frightful thing to witness, seeing how the right side of his mouth would not show any emotion but misery. “Very good, Orl. You have showed me who failed me, and for that, I reward you.” He handed Orl a slip of rolled parchment. 

          “Sir?” He asked, hesitant after unrolling and reading it. 

          “Rip the piece off like it tells you to and follow the instructions.” Kavoc said harshly. “Or can you not read?” He mocked.

          Orl wavered. “I-I can captain, it is just… I do not understand these orders…” His hands holding the commands shook. 

          Kavoc snarled. “You tie the torn piece to a rock and throw into her house.” 

          “I know what to do, but I do not know why.” Orl said. He gulped, afraid of what was going to happen next. 

          “Why do you think?!” Kavoc shouted. “So she will be frightened and unsure of what is going on!” He chest heaved up and down. Orl knew he was irate. The men around were trying to shift their attention to something else. He frightened Orl. 

          He nodded vigorously. “Yes, Captain Kavoc, right away sir, I will do it right away.”

          The remainder of his men stared at their feet as Orl mounted a horse and rode off to follow Kavoc's sinister orders. “Stand at attention!” Their captain roared, making them flinch in almost perfect unison. The same thought was running through nearly all of their minds; He is going to kill me.

************************************************************************************************************

Don't forget to vote, comment, or share. I always appreciate it. (: