Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

          The wind carried Anya on her wings. No one could catch her, no one could see her. She was the wind. She was the night. She was invisible. Her feet hit the cobblestone beneath her without a sound. Anya crept through the town; silently and surreptitiously. There were only a few people awake; a baker, a seamstress, and Him. There He was, alone by the fountain. Anya moved towards Him, not making a sound. A sword lifted in her hands and before He could react, Anya ran the sword clean through his chest. She had killed Prince Mason.

          Anya woke up with a start, covered in sweat and her hair sticking to her skin. It was just a nightmare, Anya told herself. Just a nightmare. Standing up, she paced, trying to cool off. It was the fifth time the dream had appeared in the space of seven days. The nightmare frightened her, made her think of things that she did not wish to think of. Running a hand over her face, Anya sighed before throwing a window open to help the burning sensation that cloaking her. Thunder rolled outside.

          It startled Anya for but a moment. Quickly recovering, she reach her hand out to feel the droplets of water hit her open palm. Her face lit up as lightning struck the dark night sky. The wind began to change direction and soon the rain was beginning to pelt the side of her house, entering through the open window. Anya closed the window, in a hurry not to allow the inside of her home to become wet.

          Anya scrambled to find her footing as she heard the drops of rain hit the roof of her house even harder. It sounded heavenly. Only taking the time to pull on her robe, she ducked out into the wet environment. The smile tugged at her lips until it pulled the corners upward. Euphoria coursed through her as she turned her face upward, feeling as the wet droplets hit her face before dripping down her body. She closed her eyes and just stood there. Her arms were outstretched and she grinned.

          It had been weeks since the last rainstorm in Hallareese. The rain let her know that summer was coming to a close around her world. Standing there, Anya felt as though many of her burdens were running off her body, like the rain itself was doing.

          Soon, Anya came to the realization that she needed to go back inside and that her burdens had not washed away with the rain. Her clothing was soaked through and she knew none of her problems had, in actuality, disappeared. Quickly, she started the fire before changing into a dry nightgown. Memories of the dream, momentarily forgotten, came back to mind. I need to rid myself of these dreams, Anya thought as she began to pull out paper and a quill. Perhaps, she thought, if I tell of it to someone, they will stop occurring.

          Mason, 

          First of all, how are you? It has been awhile. I am doing fine myself and I am not in any danger at the moment. My purpose for this letter is to ask a question of you, actually. As it is, however, I would rather not share with you the details through this correspondence. Please come see me soon so we may discuss it.

Many thanks,

A

          Feeling extra vigilant, she only signed the first initial of her name. Hopefully, Mason would be able to guess who the letter was from. After stuffing the paper into an envelope, she sealed it off with red wax. While she left the letter on the table to cool off, she headed into her bedroom to change. She pulled a light yellow dress on over her head and her favorite brown shoes.

          On her way out, she grabbed the sealed envelope and strolled out of her house. Her feet carried her down the cobblestone until she stood in front of a white building with the royal crest on it. It was a white eagle within a blue and silver shield, the words above it read, In Peace We Thrive. Not giving the coat of arms a second thought, Anya walked quickly inside, a bell ringing to indicate her arrival.

          “Hello, welcome to the Royal Messengry, where we place your letters to the royal family directly.” A woman spoke in a bored, but formal tone. Anya looked around and found the source of the voice. The woman had auburn hair that came down in soft curls to her shoulders. Her light blue eyes were focused on the letter in her hand and not on the customer at the door. Anya recognized the rather pudgy, freckled face almost immediately with a start. 
Recovering quickly, she strode up to the wooden counter.

          “I would like to send a letter to Prince Mason.” Anya whispered quietly to the woman. Julie’s face lit up with excitement as she looked up and identified the girl before her.

          Julie leaned closer over the counter towards her old friend. “Anya, is tha' you?” She whispered, her accent broken now. Anya nodded slowly in answer and Julie gasped quite audibly. “I though’ ya were dead!” 

          “Do not draw any attention to me, please.” Anya shook her head slightly with a small smile curling her lips. “However, I am not dead, as you can clearly see.” 

          “Oh my gods, Anya, y-yer the duchess now! You need to see the king!” Julie gushed to only Anya’s ears. 

          “I cannot, Julie.” Anya's face shifted into stone. “Here, I came here to give you this,” She pulled out the sealed letter to give to Julie. “Make sure it gets to Prince Mason before summer’s break, please?” 

          Julie stared at her. “Anya, there are many people who are before you-”

          “Julie, please, this is important.” Anya said.

          “Oh, alrigh'. But you owe me, Anya.” Anya smiled at her and Julie returned it with a stern look as she took the letter from her. 

          “Yes, yes. I know.” Anya finally replied and Julie smiled at last. Anya gave her a small coin and left the Messengry. As she began walking back home, she sighed. There were many friends like Julie that she had left behind when her life had taken a turn for the worst.

*******************************************************************

It's finally happened! We've past the point of no return! Now that we have finally reached one hundred votes (and even more!) I will be updating for as long as I can on every Saturday. (So far I have about ten chapters at my disposal, which gives us approximately 2 1/2 months before I run out of chapters to upload. Which means, I have more than enough inspiration to write! Right?

Hopefully it's right. This is my senior year of high school and it's the last five months, which can be very stressful, so bare with me, okay?

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK ALL OF YOU for all the support I have received. From friends at school to friends on Wattpad to people on the internet who just read this darn thing. THANK YOU. Thank you for getting this book out there. Please, if you can, continue the support as now more chapters will be coming out more frequently.

Sorry for all this added fluff by the way. And for this filler chapter. Hehe...

ANYWAY. Don't forget to VCS. (Vote. Comment. And Share.)