Chapter Three

Chapter Three

          Anya woke up slowly as the first of the sun’s rays shone through the cracks in the roof of her house. She sat up and stretched, her bed making creaking sounds as she did so. Climbing out of the bed, she walked over to her clothes, which hung on a strip of yarn that stretched across the small room. The last of her clean dresses was a light blue dress that, along with a brown sash, matched her brown slippers. After she slipped it on, she toasted some bread over the stove and spread some butter over it for breakfast. She ate little by little, savoring the meal. As it was, Anya only had two meals a day, breakfast in the morning and evening supper. While she should have been eating dinner, she was working. Occasionally, she would buy something in the town square, but that was only if she made a little extra pick-pocketing. 
After the little fight with the thieves the day before, she figured she might be able to afford a dinner that day.

          After cleaning up the mess from the night before and that morning, she walked out of her house. It was partially cloudy and the air was damp from the rain during the night. The grass and weeds that lined the dirt path were green with the recent watering. Anya stepped carefully over a puddle, holding the skirt of her dress up, and walked through the walls that bordered the town. That was when she noticed the sandy-haired man from yesterday. Immediately looking in the other direction, Anya pretended not to notice him.

          The mysterious stranger had yet to notice her and for that, Anya was glad. She had no need to have her heart start racing again. Trying her best to remain inconspicuous, she walked faster. However, not watching ahead of her to see where she was going, she ended up tripping and falling into a deep puddle. 

          “You okay there?” Said a familiar voice. “Oh, it is you.” He said. 

          “Disappointed?” She asked him, trying to get up with no luck. 
Her shoes slipped on the slick cobblestone path.

          “Not at all,” He held out his hand to her. “Would you like help standing up?” 

          Anya first tried to stand by herself. When she realized that she just kept slipping in the water, she grudgingly took his hand and heaved herself up.

          “Thanks,” She muttered. 

          “What was that?” He asked, a slight twinkle in his dark blue eyes. “Do you truly have manners?”

          “You can be quiet, sir, and leave me be.” She started to walk back towards her house to change. He caught up to her and walked beside her. “Do you mind?” She asked, still walking. 

          “I thought I would escort you to your home.” He told her with a small smile on his lips. 

          “That is not really necess-” She started to say, but he interrupted her.

          “After that little skirmish yesterday, I thought you would be grateful for some company.”

          Anya stopped, whipping around to face him.“How did you know-”

          “Let me accompany you to your house and I might indulge you.” Anya thought about it; indeed, she did want to know who this mysterious man was and it was only showing him where her house was. That was not so bad, was it? There were so many questions on her mind that could be answered and dealt with in a matter of time. Her heart rate quickened.

          “I should let you know, I am only doing this to receive answers from you.”

          “Then I should let you know that I am perfectly fine with that.” He smiled and swept out his arm to indicate for her to lead the way. Anya rolled her eyes and walked ahead of him, leading him to her house.

          The conversation stayed on a safe topic. “My house is not the nicest.”

          “That is quite alright.” The stranger replied calmly. “I am sure I have seen worse.”

          They arrived at her house and she led him inside, leaving him in the other room while she changed dresses only to remember there were no other dresses. Not having much else to wear, Anya changed into a woman’s burgundy trousers and peach blouse. She walked out. Though there were indeed women’s trousers, most of the feminine inhabitants in Hallareese preferred the traditional dress or skirt. A she walked out of her bedroom, warmth spread across her cheeks.

          “Sorry about the choice of clothing, it was the only clean clothes I had.” She pulled her long hair over her shoulder, sitting down.

          “Oh, it is quite alright, there is nothing wrong with a good pair of trousers.” However, his usual smirk tugged at his lips. “Now, what shall we do?”

          Anya stared at him. “I seem to remember you telling me that we would discuss some unanswered inquiries?”

          “What do you want to know?” His blue eyes teased her.

          “Well, for instance, there is your name, where you reside, age - anything about yourself, really.” 

          “What about you?” He asked her. 

          “What about me?” Perplexed, her eyebrows pulled together. “You seem to already know everything.” 

          He shook his head, smiling still. “My dear, how sorry I am to have to tell you this, but I am no seer. I do not know everything as you seem to think. Of course I would enjoy nothing more than to get to know you better myself.” 

          Anya narrowed her eyes at him, telling herself silently that he would never know more about her than the basic details. “Well, my dear sir,” She mocked him. “You now know where my home is, perhaps you would be so courteous as to share with me where you live for instance?” 

          The young man patted her shoulder. “That is an aspect that will most assuredly be revealed at a later date. I could, however, tell you that I am twenty years of age.”

          “To be fair, then, I will tell you that I myself am nineteen years of age.” She started braiding her hair over her shoulder. “You are next, sir.” Anya reminded him. 

          “I have one sister who is younger than me, but enjoys acting as my mother.” He told her, running a hand through his sandy hair as some emotion filled his eyes before it was quickly replaced by that mischievous twinkle. “Your turn, ma’am.” 

          Anya's next question burst forth out of her mouth. “Why are you following me?”

          “I seem to remember that you led me here.” He winked at her. “I will be fair, however, and give you another chance. Let us start where we left off. Do you have any siblings?”

          “I am an only child, therefore I have no knowledge of how it is to be treated like a child by a sibling.” Anya told him honestly, not bothering to keep the irritation out of her tone. “Now, why do we not share our names?”

          He chuckled at her, causing Anya to raise her left eyebrow. “At another time, my dear. I rather enjoy leaving you wanting more. For now, I must bid you farewell or I will be late for dinner. Good day madame.” He smirked as he left, leaving an infuriated Anya sitting at the table.