Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

          “Anya! The prince is here!” The grand duchess called up the grand staircase to a young eleven-year-old Anya Thimes. The girl rolled her eyes as he pulled off her pants and top before changing into a dress that was just below the knees and the color of oak leaves. She pulled a brush through her shoulder-length hair and braided it. 
For the last month, she had been forced to endure being around only those children of which her parents approved of.

          “
Coming, mother!” The young girl replied coming out of her room and heading down to the entryway of the huge mansion. The walls where white with gold and blue embellishment. Before her was the grand duke, the grand duchess, the prince, and his nanny, all waiting for her. Anya found herself glaring at the prince until her father poked her in the ribs.

          “Mind your manners, Anya.” He scolded, looking down at her. “He is your guest.”

          “I never invited him,” came the stubborn mutter under her breath. Her mother pushed her gently towards the prince. Mason was pouting, making him look more like a baby than a boy of twelve. Anya's mother patted her back to remind her to say “Good morning, Prince Mason.” She did so grudgingly.

          Mason looked up at her with pathetic eyes a his nanny said in a gentle voice, “What do you say, Your Majesty?”

          “Good morning, Miss Anya.” He said pitifully. He rubbed his eyes with the heels of his hands. His nanny gave him a look. “You look nice…”

          “What, are you ill, Your Majesty? Perhaps it shall suit you better to go home.” Anya spoke mockingly.

          “His Majesty shall be fine, right my prince?” The nanny said.

          “Right.” The prince replied in disappointment.

          Having failed an attempt to rid herself of the prince, Anya was no longer paying attention, but instead looking off into the distance. At least, she was until her father poked her again. “What a relief, Your Majesty.” She spoke, purposely not looking at him.

          “Let us go out to the patio and enjoy a nice brunch, shall we?” The duchess offered.

          “I do not want to go outside!” The prince screamed. The nanny, already looking exhausted, scolded the prince, but he didn’t listen. “I already told you, Pam! I want to go back to bed!” 

          Anya crossed her arms over her chest. “Too late for that now, is it not?” Her teasing was rewarded with a stern look from her father. Exasperated, she rolled her eyes. “Can I go back to my lessons with Master Tosha?” Her favorite teacher was the swords master.

          “No,” Her mother said curtly.

          "Mother, this,” She pointed at Mason and his nanny, who was currently trying the hair-splitting act of trying to calm him down from his fist-pounding, ear-splitting tantrum. “is useless to try and continue.” Prior years of experience as being the play date of the prince had taught her that. Her patience was running thin, having already missed a sure-to-be-great adventure with her real friends.

          The grand duchess pulled her aside by her arm. “Young lady, you will treat your guest as you would treat any of your little friends.” She said firmly, but softly. 

          “No, he is whiny and rude and needs to act his age instead of a baby.” The prince stopped and looked at her, having heard her loud voice from across the room. 
Anya did not know where all her wrath was coming from. Perhaps it was because she had gone too long without seeing Julie, Cor, or Rodger. Or maybe it was the cause of suffering through Mason's tantrums among dealing with the other children of the Royal Court. Whatever the reason, Anya was through with being the porcelain doll that her parents wanted.

          “Wh-what?” Mason questioned, clearly confused.

          Anya spoke slowly and carefully. “I believe you heard me.”

          “No one speaks to me that way,” He said, hands shaking. “I am a prince!” 

          “A brat is a much more suitable word for you.”

          “Anya!” Her mother and father sputtered, shocked.

          The young girl placed her hands on her hips. “It is about time someone tells him how he really is. Leave behind all the ‘Your Majesties’ and ‘Your Highnesses’ and all the respect and treat him the way he deserves to be treated!” On her last word, Anya's leather booted foot came down in a stomp.

          Everyone in the room gasped, including the prince. “Y-Y-You-”

          “Spit it out, Your Majesty.” Anya said, her chest heaving. 

          “You wretch! Never speak to me again!” He stormed out of the room, wiping his eyes. The nanny hurriedly ran after him and the duchess and duke looked at Anya warily. 

          “That is it.” Her mother said. “I cannot handle this anymore! The way you act around the Court, your way of dressing yourself, and the children you hang out with, of all people! Honestly, Anya, could you pick any worse street rats?”

          “Do not talk as if you know them! You do not!” Tears were spilling over onto her cheeks. “What of my wants? Do you even care about my feelings?” 

          “Of course I care! I am your mother!”

          “Do you really?” Anya whispered. “Sometimes I wonder.”

          “Young lady!” Her mother gasped, astonished. “I cannot believe you!”

          “I do not care! Send me to a scholar, send me to the Frozen Lands! Send me anywhere!” Anya shouted. “It would be better than here!”

          Her father grabbed her by the arm and pulled her up the stairs to her room. Anya turned her face up to him only to see disappointment etched in every wrinkle.

************************************************************************************************************

Please don't forget to vote, comment, and share! I always appreciate it. (: