Chapter 16

Chapter sixteen

[Val’s POV]

“Where the hell have you been?! Are you okay?! I’ve been so-so worried!”

Serena’s voice shrilled through the phone as she sobbed and I sighed quietly. I knew she’d act like this...  I didn’t blame her, but I didn’t really have the energy to handle her intense reactions. Right now, she was a sobbing mess and I couldn’t understand a single word that came out from her mouth.

“Serena... Serena, I’m okay. I went to see the Healers almost as soon as I came back and I’m fine” I stressed.

“You could have died!” She shrieked. “Maybe it’s best if you came home?!”

I was already shaking my head. “No, Serena. There’s a lot happening right now and it’s safer for everyone if we stay where we are and you all stay where you are. Our classes are changing so we’re more focused on combat and we’ll be learning first aid as well. Mr Obsidian needs us all here...”

“Then we’ll come to you-“

“Serena, no. Think of Troy. He’s human... not Abled. He’d be in the most danger out of everyone here if you both came here. I’ll be fine. We’ll all be fine, just stay where you are and know I’m probably in the safest place right now”

I could hear Troy’s deep voice in the background and, by the sounds of Serena’s softer sniffing, it seemed as though he’d calmed her down. “Okay” Serena whispered. “But make sure you’re careful. Don’t go anywhere alone, Valerie. Your parents left me and Troy to take care of you and I would never forgive myself if something happened to you”

I smiled and clutched the phone tighter. “I know, and I will. Take care Serena, okay? Give Troy a hug from me”

“I will. We love you Valerie” I blinked back tears as we both hung up and tossed the phone on the table in front of me. I missed Serena and Troy. I hadn’t seen them in so long and I’d do anything for a hug from them both.

“You alright, Tadpole?”

I swallowed the lump of emotion in my throat and smiled as I turned around. “Yeah, I’m fine”

“Oh... ‘fine’. I’ve heard of this before. Is this the ‘I’m-fine-but-not-really-fine-I’m-actually-pretty-close-to-ripping-someone’s-head-off’ type of ‘fine’? Or, the ‘say-one-more-word-and-I’ll-bawl-my-eyes-out-until-you-drown-in-my-tears’ type of ‘fine’?” Derrek smirked as he leaned against the door frame.

I chuckled with a roll of my eyes. “It’s the ‘I’m-actually-literally-fine’ type of fine”

“Never heard of it before... you must be lying”

I finally laughed aloud and his smirk widened into a full smile. “That’s what I wanted to hear. So what did Serena say?”

I sighed. “She was a little hysterical, you know her. She even wanted me to go back home, and when I said I couldn’t, she was determined to bring Troy here with her”

“But that wouldn’t be safe” Derrek frowned.

“I know... and I told her that. So she and Troy are staying home. She’s just... worried”

Derrek pushed off the door frame and walked towards me, pulling me to his chest and wrapping me in a tight hug. “We all are, Tadpole. These are some crazy times... but this is history we’re living through right now. So we better do our best to make sure there’s a good turnout for future generation to read about”

“When did you get so smart?” I murmured hugging him back.

“I always was! Maybe you’re getting dumber?”