Chapter 13

Chapter thirteen

“Aw crap”

The words slipped out from Derrek’s mouth as soon as we stopped gaping; and I agreed with him entirely. ‘Aw crap’ seemed quite appropriate. Just when we decided to stop searching for Mr Obsidian and wait with Helena and Blake, we end up running into him... and The Control. Mr Obsidian’s eyebrows shot up and his gaze slid over all of us covered in sweat, dirt, mud and blood.

Silence followed afterwards as we all stared at each other. It seemed as though we just didn’t know what to make of the situation, especially Mr Obsidian and The Control. “Uh... Mr Obsidian, we have to tell you something” Derrek finally spoke up.

This seemed to snap the others back to reality. Sicilianna pushed forward and glared at Derrek, sparing a glare for Cameron and a confused look at the Chimera and Evanesce. “Damn straight you have something to say. I daresay you have plenty of explaining to do, you insolent-“

“Sicilianna” Mr Obsidian interrupted her abruptly, “I appreciate if you did not speak to my students that way”

It was strange to see Sicilianna, a member of The Control, put into her place by a dean of a university, but I was thankful for it. “Mr Obsidian...” I said quietly.

He turned to me and lightly grasped my upper arms staring intently at my eyes, or into my eyes would seem more appropriate, it felt as though he was making sure I was still... well, me. “Valerie, I’m so relieved that Malum was not able to change you. Your friends here have caused quite a stir with their disappearance and fanatical desire to go after you”

I blushed red, “Thank you, sir...”

“Enough of this pleasant chit chat!” Sicilianna erupted. “There is a matter of the Elementals we need to attend to!”

“Sicillianna!” This time it wasn’t the dean who cut her off, instead it was Marco and it seemed that he was losing his patience with her as well. “We are all aware that the Elementals are something that we need to further discuss but the well being of these young men and women are first and foremost our priority... whether they are Abled or Elemental. Do not forget what The Control stands for”

We all looked from Marco to Sicilianna, and once again she was silenced. Behind the two I could see Tatiana and Gabriel relax their stance and I was felt somewhat confused. The three of them seem to be open to thinking of everyone’s well-being and yet it was three votes to one that they considered the Elementals to be dangerous.

Sicilianna was seething. I could feel, and see, the heatwaves emanating from her from where I stood and it was unbelievably uncomfortable. I’d already been locked up in a cell that had been designed solely to dehydrate me and the feeling was coming back since I stood close to her. I shuffled backwards a little way and turned to face Mr Obsidian once more.

“Mr Obsidian... we need to talk to you-“

“I believe this is a matter worth speaking to all of us, Valerie” Gabriel smiled. Oh... the mind reading. Damn. His smile widened at my thoughts and I half wondered why he didn’t just tell the others instead of having us explain everything. “But I think it would be best to do so while we checked up on Helena”

Mr Obsidian frowned slightly but didn’t question Gabriel or myself. “Where is Helena, Valerie?”

“The infirmary... with Blake” He nodded and stood back to let us lead the way and followed after us, with The Control following after him.

[Derrek’s POV]

We all walked down to the infirmary in silence and I wished that we had taken a different route back to the infirmary earlier. While we needed to tell Mr Obsidian about Malum and the other Elementals I, at least, wanted some time between him knowing and The Control... or at the very least not be there when they found out. There was also the unknown factor of what they wanted to do with Cameron, Blake, Sophia and Bree. Cara was out of the picture for now, though not any safer at all. I heaved a sigh and felt the heavy weight on my shoulders gain slump with even more weight from all these unknown answers and I stumbled as I tried to regain my composure.