Chapter 15

Chapter fifteen

[Cameron’s POV]

I stared out the balcony, straight past the grey stormy rain and gritted my teeth again. A white hot bolt of lightning cracked the sky once more, followed immediately by a loud crack of thunder. There was no stopping the rain and no stopping the wind thrashing wildly at everything out in the open. I felt like a similar storm was brewing up inside of me too. Angry clouds swirling inside my chest, growls of fury and the lightning...? I bent down and grabbed another large weight from my beaten up gym set and tossed it lightly up and down with one hand – it weighed eighty kilos, but to me it felt lighter than a baseball.  As another flash of lightning streaked haphazardly through the rain, I threw the weight out the balcony and watched as it disappeared through the hazy sheet of water.

I growled angrily once more and bent to pick up another weight, only to realize that there were none left. I’d thrown every one of them out the balcony and now had nothing to take out my anger on. I knew, deep down, that it wasn’t Blake I was furious at. It was obviously the situation and all my anger was actually pin pointed over a target on Malum’s rotten chest.

I wanted to kill him. I needed to kill him.

I surprised at my own bloodlust, but to know what he’d done to Cara had unsettled everything in me, and I wanted revenge... after saving Cara. All my fury suddenly disappeared and I fell to my knees as pain as white and hot as the lightning outside zigzagged through my chest and pierced my heart.

Cara.

Was there even any reversing what he’d done to her?

Was there still a chance to save, and bring back the girl I loved from what he’d made of her?

Hot tears were flooding down from my eyes and I swiped angrily at them, blinking them away, before looking around the apartment. The entire place was a disaster zone. The sofa was over turned, chairs and tables were splintered while anything I had been able to get my hands on were beyond recognition now... except Cara’s belongings.

At the moment I hated my abilities.

My strength? What help was that? I easily tore everything apart and yet could feel no pain I wanted to physically feel. My invisibility? What was the point, when I couldn’t hide from my emotional agony. I felt useless and wished that Malum had just taken me instead of Cara, she was strong deep inside but she was too scared of herself, and this was what happened.

I shuffled forward and carefully lifted a picture frame of us – us laughing at the camera while I hugged her from behind, and rubbed the dirt from the glass. “I’m so sorry for leaving you, Cara... and when you needed me the most”

Her picture didn’t reply, didn’t move or say she was okay.

She just smiled a frozen smile and it only reminded me more of the frozen state she was stuck inside of her own body.

***

I woke up to the sound my alarm bleeping and groaned. I felt as though I was hung over, except without the alcohol. I swatted towards the beeping and knew I hit it when I felt the crunch of metal and plastic under my fist. Damnit.

Why did I even have to wake up early? I thought back over the last few hours and remembered that we all had to meet with Mr Obsidian this morning. I looked over and felt that dull ache somewhere under my ribs at the sight of the empty room – no, it wasn’t all a nightmare. Cara really had been taken over by Malum, and I did abandon her with the rest of them.

I pushed the guilt down for the moment and tried to at least appear collected today. I showered and dressed in fresh clothes (something that we all hadn’t been able to do almost the entire search for the Stinger hideouts) and left the apartment. I walked slowly down the corridor and wasn’t surprised to see the Elemental girls leaving their apartment too.