EPILOGUE: FREE TO BE YOURS...

SIX MONTHS LATER….

Kate looked down at her vibrating mobile with a frown. Why would her secretary pass her any calls when she had given her strict instructions not to disturb her while she was in the middle of an important audit?

Staring at the unknown number, she swiped the screen to take the call feeling annoyed that she had to write everything down so as not to forget what she had been doing.

“Mary? What is it?” she snapped busy in writing down her figures.

“Sorry Kate. This is important,” her secretary told her and before she had time to protest, the latter put the call through.

“Kate?” greeted the familiar voice she had been dying to hear all weekend but instead of feeling happy she got even more irritated. It had been more than six months now since she had seen him and she had fought everyday with him to weaken his resolve. But Aidan had been stubbornly sticking to the stupid promise he had made to her father. Not even once had he relented and met her secretly and it was a punishment she had not deserved.

“What do you want?” she sneered her voice coming out even harder than she had intended. But she was beyond caring. It was always the subject of their conversation; when would they meet? And Aidan seemed to pacify her each time with a new tactic without however giving in to her pleas.

“Ooooh, somebody’s angry,” drawled the voice at the other end and Kate was so exasperated that she wanted to cut off the call. “How are you? I have missed you too,” Aidan mocked her.

“I’m alive,” she retorted hotly. “And thanks for bothering to call me back. Where the hell have you been all weekend? I was phoning you like mad. Even Meredith had no idea where you were,” she said angrily straightening to take the phone she had been holding with her shoulder as she had finished noting down her figures.

“I’m in Italy on a business trip. I’m sorry I had no time to call you on Friday to warn you that I would not be available. You know how things can get hectic in the office,” he told her and Kate had to hyperventilate not to react. Yes! She knew. But they were already not seeing each other and the least he could do was find some time to at least phone her.

But if she protested once more, they would pick up a fight and end up not talking to each other for another week. And she did not want that. She had missed him too much and wanted to spend a few moments with him on the phone before getting back to work.

“Where are you now?” he asked her and so she curbed her anger to tell him that she was in Manhattan itself.

Her mood was back to normal; normal was happy nowadays as she was looking forward to seeing him in another month. It had been 182 days and counting since she had last seen him and her love had not changed one bit. Which was normal; if it hadn’t changed in seven years, it was hard for it to change for seven months.

Aidan always had the ability to lift up her mood even when she was in her worse condition and as she disconnected the phone, she smiled to herself foul mood evaporated. Humming to herself, she continued with her auditing and noted down her figures in rough. She would have to derive a report afterwards and it was better to note them down.

As she got out of the office, she jumped into her car to drive back to the main office. As soon as she reached, her father was waiting for her at the reception with a worried frown on his face.

“Kate? Aren’t you at the airport yet?” he asked her sounding in a hurry.

Kate frowned back. “No. Why? What happened?”

“There has been a fire in the New York branch. We have to leave immediately,” he told her and before Kate could ask him anything, he dialed a number and seemed to talk to someone in an urgent tone.