CHAPTER THREE: ABSENCE MAKES THE HEART GROW FONDER?

It was too flashy. Kate hated it but it hardly mattered since she was starting to hate everything about the wedding. It was as if everything was going wrong. Her sisters were doing their best of course. The problem was with her; her heart was simply not into it. And it was too late to back down now. All invitations were sent and only one month remained for the wedding ceremony.

Trying for a fervent smile at the expectant look on Caitlin's face, she knew she failed to make a good job out of it when she saw the face change into a crestfallen expression.

"You don't like it?" Caitlin asked and Kate cursed herself for her lack of perseverance. She should have known that her sister was going to pick up something there was something wrong if she showed a lack of enthusiasm.

"Of course I do," she lied and shrugged. "It doesn't matter anyway," she said finally thinking that she owed her sister the truth.

"Oh don't say that," Caitlin replied taking her hand into hers. "If you don't like the flowers, we'll choose some other arrangement, okay? As long as you're happy."

That was the understatement of the year. As long as she was happy. Well she was not. And could not pretend anymore.

"What's wrong Kate?" Caitlin asked seeming to pick her morose attitude.

"I don't think I want to get married after all," she confessed in a small voice gnawing her lower lips worriedly expecting a bomb to explode.

It never exploded. At least not in words as she had expected. Instead Caitlin gripped her elbow and dragged her out of the flower shop. Flower arrangements were forgotten and they walked down the pavement.

"I know how it feels," was the sudden reply which stunned her unto silence. She did? But Caitlin Thornton Stafford loved her husband to bits and pieces. How the hell had she been insecure for her wedding?

"What do you mean? You love Bryan like mad. It’s impossible! Don't tell me you've felt the same before your wedding too?"

"I have. It's okay to freak out I guess. You feel as if you're getting yourself closed in that elevator of which you're scared to death and want to get out as fast as possible. Almost claustrophobic," her younger sister told her and Kate was baffled. Hell, she hadn't been expecting that.

Caitlin had never confessed her feelings to her when she had gotten married and Kate had not even doubted that her sister had been having doubts. And she had thought that they were close. But of course she could understand that certain things were too personal to share no matter how close you were to a person.

Already feeling stronger after having voiced out her feelings, she nodded as they sat down at a cafe shop. "Exactly! I’m looking for hundreds of reasons to cancel the wedding. I feel like there’s something terribly wrong with everything."

Caitlin frowned at her latest statement. "No, it didn’t feel wrong for me. If anything had helped me decide whether to go through my wedding or not, it had been the feeling that I was doing the right thing."

And instead of feeling appeased, Kate got even more confused now. Hell, she was having a conflict of interest. How could she interpret what it meant? Was she getting pre-marital jitters as her sister had implied or was it something else? Something more serious?

"You do love him, don't you?" her sister broaching the topic they had never dared started before then. Edward had not even proposed. Once she had started dating him, it had been assumed that they would get married and the mothers had started preparing for the wedding. It had been so rapid that Kate could not even remember when she had agreed for the wedding. At some point in time, she must have given in to the pressure having no other choice but to go with the flow of what was happening around her.