CHAPTER FOUR: WHAT IS PAST IS PROLOGUE

It had been a mistake to come. That was the first thing that came into Aidan’s mind as he stared at the enlaced figure in front of him. It was all coming back to haunt him. And he was even more furious with Connor for holding Kate so close and wanted to tear them apart.

“Waldorf,” Connor greeted him coldly bringing him back to reality.

Gritting his teeth to stop himself from any physical interaction, Aidan clutched his fists until his knuckles became white. How he wanted to land his fist into that damned traitor’s face in front of him.

But he wouldn’t give him that pleasure. It would be too easy for Connor to know that he was so affected by his presence. Cold and ruthless was the best way to handle that kind of bastard, he thought and felt his tycoon instincts kick in. He was the best in what he did and he would show him how it felt to be betrayed.

Jen was nowhere in sight and Aidan assumed that she had either chickened out or she was hiding out of shame. Good, he sneered to himself. At least someone had some dignity left unlike the two standing in front of him, one looking at him in defiance and the other looking at him with…

His attention shifted as his gaze landed on Kate and he faltered with shock. Was that her?!! He had recognized the voices from the garden and had stealthily sneaked behind them only to catch up the last sentence. On hearing Connor demean the past that still meant so much to him, his wrath had climbed to its peak he had not paid attention to the woman standing in front of him.

Woman. That was the right word to describe her. Gone was the unruly hair. Gone was the awkward posture. Gone were the freckles. Instead a stunningly beautiful woman stood in front of him nature fulfilling all the promises it had made about the young girl she had once been.

Brown eyes stared back at him like those of a doe filled with vulnerability and admiration like it had always done and Aidan felt some of his anger left him. He was not here to spoil her wedding, he reminded himself and changed his expression from harsh to rueful.

“Hey Kate,” he greeted her deliberately omitting the nickname ha had always used for her. Angel. That was what she had been to him long ago. But no longer was. “I guess congratulations are in order,” he drawled in a mocking voice.

Kate stood transfixed and stared at him like he had grown two heads or something. Then finally, she disentangled herself from Connor’s embrace and hesitated a few seconds before giving him an awkward hug.

“You came!” she whispered in amazement and her demeanor reflected clearly the she had not expected him to show up.

“How to resist such a sincere convocation?” he mocked again and watched the light fade out from her eyes at his disdain. Hell! He immediately regretted his words and opened his mouth to diffuse the tension when Connor spoke.

“Still holding a grudge, Waldorf?” Connor asked him diverting his attention from Kate as his no longer best friend’s eyes met his eyes in open challenge. His defiance and attitude was making Aidan even angrier since instead of feeling ashamed of his behavior, Connor was acting as if he was the guilty party.

“More than ever,” he replied back meeting the challenge being offered and marching towards him to make his point but Kate intervened quickly between the two of them.

“Stop it, you two! Right now!” she barked in her usual patronizing manner and Ryce seemed to mollify at her order.

 “Where’s Jennifer by the way? Too ashamed to show her face?” he could not help fire at him in a mocking tone aiming for where it would hurt the most unable to resist throwing the taunt.