Chapter Eleven: Caught

Alison was in trouble, big time.

Just as she knew, she did get caught. By Travis herself. Wow, she was quick to blame. The moment she entered class, Travis gave Ali a murderous glare and had said, Principal's office, with me, NOW.

Ali had quietly followed (a first for her), and was now sitting in the lavish office, waiting for Principal Ashford to come. Easy listening music was running in the background. Yeah. Ali totally wanted 'Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head' playing in the background while she was being yelled at.

Anyway, it wasn't like Travis had any proof that she had done anything. Travis had gone to get Ashford from where ever. She put her hands behind her head and calmly waited. Piece of cake. She'd been here a gajilion times. Since sixth grade, Ali had been a total rebel. She knew every detail about the stupid office. Ali dozed off while waiting, and was shaken awake with the opening of the door.

"I understand that my daughter is a rebel, but you can't simply put the blame on her because of that."

Mom? What the hell was she doing here? Didn't she, like, have to go to work or something. Ali's mom had never come to the office simply because she knew what Ali was like and didn't care about it. She was by far the coolest mom she had ever seen.

Laura Thomas stepped in and smiled. She was a pretty woman, with dark blond hair-well, really, Ali was a copy of hers, except for the eyes, which were green, and not blue, like her mom. Probably got it from the jerk who had left her mom a long time ago. Ali didn't even know who he was. Her mother never mentioned him.

"Ali, honey, what did you do this time?" She asked, grinning.

Ali grinned in reply. Travis and Ashford were staring like idiots, waiting for her mom to go ballistic. Like that would ever happen. These idiots should not have involved her mom. She'd totally chew them out. She was a child rights lawyer, a very good one at that. Poor school authorities.

"Nothing much, Mom. Did they call you in, to scold me or something?"

"Well, I was getting ready, and then I get a call to come and visit them. How normal. I thought about ignoring them, but then this woman here," she pointed towards Travis, "screeched about how you were a hard core criminal. Well, no one can call my daughter a criminal and get away with it, right?" Then she winked.

"Now, excuse me, but I'm sure your supportive feelings for your daughter will disappear when you know what she did." Travis protested.

"Ok, I'll give you five minutes to explain, after which I will cut you off. Now, begin."

Ali tried not to laugh out loud. God, her mom was cool.

Travis narrowed her eyes, and told her version of the story. The bitch.

Ali's mom looked pleasantly surprised, and then asked Ali to explain her version of the story. And Ali did. Then her mom leaned toward her and said, "Be honest, Al. Did you hack into Ms. Travis' account and block the question papers?"

Ali never lied to her mom. Her mom trusted her, and Ali trusted back. It was like a her and me against the world situation. Ali took a deep breath.

"Yeah, mom, I did. And I was totally justified in doing so. She threatened me, mom, she was going to make me repeat eighth grade, and she detained me because she didn't like me, she said so-"

"The imbecile girl lies!" Travis screamed.

Ali's mom scowled at Travis, and she could see a kindling of anger in her eyes. Uh oh. Travis was so dead.

"Did you just call my daughter an imbecile, Travis? Be careful about what you say. And the fact that you butted in and tried to cut off her explanation just makes you look guilty. Very guilty. Don't forget, I am a lawyer. I observe. And you certainly don't look like an innocent victim here. I know its wrong of my daughter to abuse you verbally, and I will reprimand her for that, but I give an unbiased opinion here. Based on both your cases, yours sounds very editted and fake. And I have a rebel daughter, but one thing I am extremely sure of, is that my daughter never lies, no matter what her personality is like. You made her do that. You are at fault as much as she is."

Oh My God, wow, Ali thought. Her mom was going to get her out of this. Travis anyway looked hopeless and defeated, and had gone all pale. Beat that, loser, Ali thought. Ashford looked completely enamoured by her mom's verdict. Then she finally shook herself up.

"Ok...well, Ms. Thomas, we actually don't have proof that Alison did any of that, but she'll have to stay behind next Friday to help Mrs. Grande grade the sixth grade papers, as a form of punishment for abusing a teacher. Is that ok?" She looked at her mom, then Ali. Travis looked like she could kill Ali for not gettinginto trouble.

"As for you, Ms. Travis, we are going to have a chat about your behavior with Alison."

Travis just nodded. Then Ali and her mom went outside.

"You weren't kidding about giving me a punishment, were you?" Ali sighed.

Her mom smiled. "No, I wasn't, Ali. A justified act, what you did, but wrong all the same. I'm grounding you for one week. That ok?"

Ali nodded. A fair punishment. Her mom smiled, kissed her forehead and then waved off and left. Ali went back to her classes.

All sorts of problems as soon as she turned thirteen. What was so special about this two digit number, anyway?