Chapter Ten

I felt about ten emotions at once. The one I centered on was terror. Complete and utter terror coursed through me, lighting my veins on fire. My fight or flight instincts kicked, urging me to run the other way. I was in no way prepared for a blow out, my body was still healing from the previous beating Damien had put me through. My heart was pounding violently, racing to get out of my chest before it could take another blow.  

  Jace was holding tightly onto my hand, cutting off every bit of circulation in it. Not that I minded, it gave me something to focus on besides the deathly look in Damiens eyes. He was shaking, I could see it. That only meant one thing: violence. Lots and lots of violence. And it was all my fault. If I hadn't let Jace in, if I hadn't spilled my deepest secret to him, none of this would be happening. I should of just lied, I should of continued to spill those pointless stories. I shouldn't of confirmed his suspicions. I ruined everything. 

  I deserved whatever punishment Damien saw fit. 

  Gathering all my courage I stepped forward, tugging out of Jaces grip and raising my hands in an "I surrender" fashion. 

  "Damien, please. It's not what it looks." I pleaded, throwing my hands around frantically. 

  "Then what is it, Ripley?" Damien spat, disgust and fury evident in his voice. I cringed. This was horrible.

  "We were just talking! I swear, nothing happened." I whimpered, practically groveling on my knees. 

  "Don't lie to me you whore! You're nothing but a skank I have no idea why I'm even with you." Damien raged, taking big steps forward to grab my arm roughly. 

    "Don't touch her!" Jace roared, rushing forward to rip me away from Damien.

   I couldn't help it, I started sobbing uncontrollably. Damien gripped my other arm and Jace pushed him, tugging on my arm painfully. Damien snarled, his face contorting into an animal like growl. I flinched when his fist came up, but my mouth dropped open when it flew past me and collided with Jaces face. 

  A horrifying crunch resonded throughout the small clearing and Jaces head snapped to the side. I muffled a scream by biting my fist, tears pouring down my already soaked face. This was an utter nightmare. How could my life flip upside down so drastically? Suddenly I was shoved to the side, crashing painfully into an oak tree and smashing my head against the rough bark.

  I righted myself to see Jace and Damien crashing into the lake, fists flying. I sobbed more, holding my head with my left hand. This was not good by any means. Panic flooded my chest and my breathing became shallow, the signs of a full on panic attack taking over. My vision clouded, black spots fielding everything. 

  I mentally shook myself. If I didn't stop them they'd kill each other. Pulling myself together I stumbled up from the tree, rushing toward the lake. They were splashing further and further from shore, still pounding each other to a pulp. My heart jumped into my throat, my palms sweating profusely. 

  I stumbled into the water, swaying gently from side to side. I splashed further into the water, desperately trying to get to them before they drowned each other. The closer I got the more blood I could see dripping off each other their faces, split lips and broken noses clear as day on both their handsome faces. Oh God, this is all my fault. 

  "Stop! Just stop it both of you!" I screamed, tugging on Jaces arm only to receive a punch from Damien. I fell sideways into the water, taking in a giant gulp. I crashed under, drowning. This could not be happening. Reaching for the surface I panicked, allowing even more water to enter my lungs. This was useless. I was as good as dead.