Haunting friends

Written 2012 by VeGirl

About an hour later we were on our way back. We had a relaxing shower, breakfast on the patio and put some clothes on that weren't ripped to shreds. The wounds on my neck were nicely healed as well.

I had called Elena and told her we were on our way back and that everything was okay. She on the other hand told me that Stefan had gone away with Elijah to deal with our secret camera man. They would not be back for another hour.

We passed the boarding house driveway and drove straight up to the hotel to get Lexi. Damon held my hand almost defiantly when we knocked on the door and then opened it.

The room was empty.

Damon had bought Lexi a cell phone when we went shopping the day before, and he called her when we realised she was gone.

"Where are you?" was all I heard and I was extremely curious to where she had gone. For the first time I wished I had vampire-hearing.

"We'll be there," he said and hung up.

I had shrugged into a pair of my own jeans and a tee, which was still in my closet while Damon finished his phone call.

"She's gone out," he tried to look annoyed but started to smile. "She hasn't been out in the sun a lot for the last three hundred and fifty years..."

He pulled me close and we left the hotel with his arm around my shoulders.

He parked outside the Mystic Grill and got out of the car where we walked hand-in-hand to the towns square. Lexi sat on a bench in the sunshine and watched us walk over. She had a big grin on her face.

"Enjoying the sun?" I asked smiling.

She laughed. "Yes, but I enjoy watching the two of you even more," she said in a taunting way. "Damon in love... I never thought I would see the day..."

He made a face at her. "Yeah well, I almost killed her yesterday, just to prove you wrong," he revealed and it felt horrible when I heard it. "But, you know what? I think you might be right." He looked at me with a smile, put his arm around me, pulled me closer and kissed my temple.

I think I blushed. Did he say he loved me? Now I really must be imagining things.

She was fast on her feet. "Yay!" She jumped up and down and clapped her hands. Damon looked surprised at her.

"He has finally broken through the self-hate. I told you a long time ago that it would destroy you."

He sighed. "You're perky..." He rolled his eyes skywards.

"Lexi, I'm really glad I met you," I said smiling and she hugged me.

"And I'm so glad to have met you. Now let's go screw with the ripper-boy." She had a wicked smile and we took the car to the boarding house. Elena met us in the hallway and hugged Lexi. "How are you doing?"

"Great, just great!" She had a huge smile. "Have rested for a while and am ready to live!"

Elena and I laughed.

"So, when does our little blood-junkie going to get home?" she wanted to know, and then she told her little plan to screw with his head, and we were all aboard.

A flatiron was quickly produced for my hair and in a few minutes I had a hair-due that was frighteningly alike Lexi's.

When Stefan showed up half an hour later I sat in the library with my back to the door; he walked past the door.

"Hi Stefan!" Lexi said.

"Hi Lexi," he replied calm and took a few steps before he came to a halt and warped into the library, rounded the couch I sat in and stared at my face.