Long gone

Written 2012 by VeGirl

"Emma, where have you been?" Elena came and hugged me. The worry was obvious in her eyes. "You were just gone!"

"Apparently I have been Klaus' girlfriend for the day," I sad sourly.

"What?!"

I explained shortly what Rebekah had told me. "Where's Damon?" I asked but Elena looked extenuation. "He's been gone all afternoon; we don't know where he is."

I pulled out my phone and texted him:

'Where are you? Come home!'

It took a while, and then I got back.

'Not as long as you have her, idiot!'

What? He thought that Klaus had my phone? That meant he knew who I had spent the day with. I suddenly remembered some cloudy moments meeting this tall, dark stranger at the Grill.

I tapped Damon's number and heard him answer: "I don't want to talk to you Klaus!"

"It's Emma," I said and heard him go quiet.

"He probably compelled you to call me, so I beg you not to call anymore," and then he hung up on me.

What?! What was I supposed to do now? I obviously needed to convince him I was back, but how could I do that when I didn't know where he was.

"Can borrow your car, Elena?"

She got the keys for me and I drove off. On the phone it had sounded like Damon was at some kind of a bar. No surprise there...

I drove around in hope to catch sight of his blue Camaro somewhere. Not by the Grill, not by my hotel and not by any of the familiar places. I thought of Bree's bar where we actually met for the first time, but his car wasn't out front there either.

I started to drive around in circles in town and finally I caught a glimpse of the ice-blue car. I immediately parked Elena's car next to it and walked into a joint that looked like a strip-club.

A half-naked girl came up to me and asked if I wanted to have something to drink as she looked me up and down. I was just about to say no, when I realised that I most certainly would be thrown out if I didn't buy anything.

"Yes, I'll have a beer." I said and walked up to the bar. I looked around in the dark club when I'd got my drink. It took a while for my eyes to adjust to the darkness. All I could see first was the bar and the stage where a girl was dancing slowly to the soft music. Not very good, I remembered thinking.

The rest of the place had dark booths where people could stay out of curious eyes I guessed. How was I supposed to find him?

"Damon?" I said well aware of his super-hearing. I noticed movement in one of the dark booths and walked closer.

"Damon Salvatore, get your ass out here this moment!" I said sharply, even though I didn't use strong volume.

I saw a dark haired head pop up and walked right up to that booth. He sat between two girls who really wanted him to stay. There were bite marks on both girls and Damon was drunk.

"I see how much you missed me," I said tart.

"Emma?" His face was rough and his eyes dark; I couldn't really say if it was because he was sad or if it was because he got caught in the act. We just stared at each other for a while.

"I see you've moved on," I said and marched right out of there. When I got to the car he suddenly stood right in front of me.

"He let you go?" He looked like he didn't believe it.

"Yes, Rebekah freed me. Luckily for me I had one friend who cared." My voice was icy and I felt really hurt seeing him with those girls. Even though I knew I had no claim on him, I wanted to see him as mine.

"You don't remember meeting me at the Grill? There wasn't anything I could do."

Another fragment of a memory came to me, about a tall dark stranger who looked so amazingly sad, but the memory was still wrapped up in a cloud of dizziness.

We looked once again at each other in silence. "I didn't mean to disturb you and the cheerleaders," I said and pressed by him, got into Elena's car and drove to my hotel. When I got to my hotel door, Damon already stood outside it.

"Emma..."

"Did you drive over here? You're drunk!" I lectured him.

"Of course I got drunk, I thought I lost you!" he snapped and grabbed me by the shoulders. "And about the drunk-driving, I've got better reflexes than any of you humans when you're sober, so don't worry!"

"Thank you for pointing out that I'm merely a human." I pushed past him and opened the door.

"Emma, wait!"

"Stop fighting me, I haven't done anything!" I yelled at him. "You're the one who gave up on me!" I slammed the door with a bang.

"Open the door Emma; I swear to God or I will smash it to pieces," he barked.

I sighed and stomped over to the door and opened it. He put his hands on my face and kissed me fiercely. "You kissed him," he mumbled hurt against my lips.

Another memory swished by. "That wasn't me! It was a compelled puppet who did what she was told to do?" I objected. "A simple human," I added sourly.

"There is nothing simple about you!" His angry expression changed into a smile. "You are the one who has put humanity back in me, something Stefan has tried time and time again. Then you just waltz in here and..." He threw out his hands in a stated gesture. We stood there, just looking at each other.

I was hurt, but I realised he was hurting as well.

.