One

"Now remember everyone-" my father spoke to all of the church folk that showed up today for the Sunday service. "-we all have something that defines us. God made us for a specific reason. He brought us into this world to make change, to make an impact on this cruel world. So, I want you all to leave today ready to figure out what God wants and to come back next Sunday and tell how you impacted someone or something. Thank you, may God be with you."

"And also with you." The church folk said back to my father.

"Now on the way out, my son and his choir will sing." Father then said and glanced over to me.

I nodded and then pointed out my finger.

The choir and I then started singing This Little Light of Mine.

As I was singing, I looked over to the mosaic rainbow colored window and watched as the sun made a rainbow shadow on the floor below it.

It was beautiful.

Something that put a smile on my face.

Soon everyone was gone and the choir stopped singing and got ready to go home.

As we were leaving the church my best friend grabbed a hold of my arm and started to walk with me.

"You sounded extra good today Z." My best friend Louis spoke to me.

"You too Lou." I smiled as we walked out of the church and then across the street to my house.

"Nah." Louis said as he shook his head. "Your voice is so much better then mine. I can never hit those high notes like you can."

"Then I'll teach you."

"You'd do that for me?"

"Of course Lou. You're my best friend."

Louis smiled at me and we then walked into the front door of my house.

We then raced up the stairs to my room.

When we got inside, I shut and locked my door.

"So, have you heard back from any colleges lately?" Louis asked as he sprawled out on my bed.

"New York called me."

"Really!"

"Yeah." I nodded. "They said I was gifted."

"Well you sound like an angel."

I laughed at that.

"I don't think God would agree."

"Oh he would."

I just rolled my eyes.

"So are you still wanting to do R&B?"

"Yeah, but I don't think father would want me to do that."

"Why not?"

"Because I tried to bring it up and he hinted that I should have a gospel singing career."

"But R&B is your dream?"