Chapter Twenty Three

We arrived in Hogsmeade, the trio under the Cloak, myself invisible to all, when a horrific din sounded. A Caterwauling Charm!

A group of Death Eaters appeared, knowing Harry was here, and tried Summoning the Cloak, which, of course, failed miserably.They then summoned the Dementors, and Harry had no choice but to conjure his Patronus. Of course, they dived on that and started getting excited. Just then a nearby door opened, showering light onto the dark streets of Hogsmeade.

"Potter, in here, quickly! Keep under that Cloak."

Obeying the man's voice, the trio dashed inside. I followed, stopping to watch as the man yelled att he Death Eaters, conjuring his goat Patronus to fool them into thinking it was Harry's. They took it, hook, line and sinker. Gentlemen, I do believe you just got hung out to dry.

I went downstairs to join the trio and Aberforth. I smiled at the picture of Ariana that hung above the fireplace.

"Hello, Ariana. It's good to see you again."

She smiled and waved a little at me.

"How do you know my sister?" Aberforth asked, as he came back into the room with food and drink.

"I know her better than you think, Aberforth Dumbledore." I replied, turning to smile at her once again. "Sad that she died the way she did. Your brother never did forgive himself for having such foolish ideas."

"Just who are you?" he demanded gruffly.

I dropped my disguise and spread my wings.

"I am Death."

Despite himself, Aberforth took a step or two back, eyes widening for a moment, then he seemed to compose himself.

"Yes, well, I expect you're here for me, then, eh? Well I'm not g -"

"Shut up," I replied calmly. "I'm not here for you, not yet anyway. You've got a good few years left to go."

He said nothing to my statement, simply watched as I shifted seamlessly back to being Dean once more.

Harry spoke up about Albus' mission, and Aberforth gave a derisive laugh, saying that he and Albus had been raised on keeping secrets - and there was much Harry did not know. Attention soon turned to Ariana again, and Aberforth told the tale of how she had died, how Albus, Gellert and himself had fought in their home, and, wanting to help, but having no knowledge of her magic, Ariana had died, hit by a Killing Curse.

"An' I suppose you know what really happened that day." he said, staring at me.

I stared right back at him and simply nodded.

"Tell me, then. I must know." he said hoarsely.

"Later, Aberforth. For now, Harry and his friends require your help getting into the castle."

"Haven't I just said -"

"You will help them, Aberforth."

Harry also argued. He knew how the whole thing might play out, had known for years. Oddly enough, this seemed to be one of the things that decided it for Aberforth, as when Harry told him that if he did know a way to get them in the castle, now would be the time, Aberforth simply sat there for a few moments, before getting up and walking over to Ariana's portrait.

"You know what to do." he said. In reply, she said nothing. I assumed it was because in life, she had been a quiet soul, so, in death, her painting was too. She turned and walked away towards the horizon of her painting, finally vanishing from view. Moments later, she reappeared, and the portrait swung open, revealing a very battered and bruised Neville Longbottom.