Chapter Nineteen

As Harry, Hermione and I walked through the snow filled streets of Godric's Hollow, I was more aware than ever of the blank hourglass I had given Luna. Even I had no idea what it was for. I hadn't told Luna that the hourglass had been with me as long as I could remember for nothing - it had simply appeared the day I Harvested my first soul. All I had ever been told by other powers was that it was special, and to keep it safe. Right now, I could think of no safer place than with Luna.

"Harry!" Hermione whispered from under the cloak. "I think it's Christmas Eve!"

No, really? You mean the carols coming from the church and the Christmas trees all lit up around us didn't give it away?

"Would you two come out from under the Cloak already? No one's going to know it's you." I pointed out. Harry pulled  the Cloak off them and stashed it in his pocket. We made our way to the graveyard by the church and I stopped. There were a few souls lingering by their graves, looking a little lost and confused. I walked over to one, Harry and Hermione following, looking a little confused themselves at my purposeful stride.

"You can't be here." I told the man, who was looking down at his grave, looking lost as he read his name and date of death over and over again. He didn't seem to hear me.

"You're the one who walked over here!" Hermione argued.

"Not you!" I told her, irritably. I reached out and tapped the man on his shoulder, and he turned slowly, looking at me.

"Yes. . .?" his voice was less than a whisper.

"You can't be here." I told him, speaking gently now, unerstanding that somehow, this man had changed his mind halfway through moving on and had got stuck by his grave.

"But. . . I need to tell her."

"You need to tell who what?"

"I need to tell my great-great granddaughter about the money under the floorboard in her bedroom."

"Where is your granddaughter?"

He pointed at the church behind me, from where the carols were being sung with heart and soul. Joy radiated from the church and I smiled despite myself.

I turned to Harry and Hermione. "You two, get under the Cloak."

"Dean, we haven't time for this! We have to find the Sword so we can destroy the Horcruxes!" Harry protested.

I had started to walk towards the church, but now I wheeld on him, my eyes flashing.

"Listen to me, Harry James Potter. That man over  there by his grave, and that woman there, and that small boy there," I said, pointing to each one in turn. "They are all lost. The Horcruxes can go bollocks right now for all I care. Tom Riddle's soul had been this way for fifty years. I'm sure it won't hurt to wait a few minutes longer. Now get your ass under that Cloak before I really get mad!"

I turned and strode purposefully towards the church, altering my appearance as I did so, to that of an old man. walking inside the church, I was struck by the light and sound as people sung hymns and laughed together. I immediately spotted the people I was looking for.

"Excuse me." I called over the music. "Bertha! Your grandfather wants a word with you! Amy, your son needs you, it's urgent! Jason! Your wife wants to tell you something important!" Putting a small 'follow me' catch to my voice, as I had done many a time before when leading mortals to a family member, I added, "Come with me!"

Turning and leaving, I was pleased to see them following me, looking a little confused.

I took Bertha to her grandfather, and she cried out in shock to see his spirit stood, smiling faintly at her. Jason and Amy were the same when they saw their loved ones.