Chapter Eleven

"It was brilliant!" Luna said, her eyes shining as she hugged herself happily. She had just finished telling me how her time at Slughorn's party had gone. I hadn't had the chance to tell her yet that I already knew all this, as I'd been there myself, invisible to all.  

"But you already know, don't you? After all, you were there." she smiled. 

I shook my head in silent amazement that she already knew. The child really was one of a kind. 

"I have to go now I have to finish my homework. Besides, Harry's here and he has something to tell you."  

Saying so, she kissed my cheek and skipped off humming to herself. My hand went to the spot where she had kissed me. It felt nice, being kissed. A smile grew on my face, and I turned to see Harry gaping, unable to believe his eyes. 

"Hello, Harry." 

"Hi. Did Luna just -" 

"Yes, she did." I grinned at him. "So what do you have to tell me, then?" 

"I'll never get used to you being Death, you know. I know you - you know, showed me and all, but is there another way you can prove it? Tell me something about my future?" 

I thought about it for a moment. 

"No." Not yet, I added silently to myself. When Albus Dumbledore died, Harry would ask me what the future held, and then and only then, would I offer a hint.

He sighed. "Alright then. Ron's Mum's invited you over for Christmas. We leave today if you're coming." 

"I'd love to." I replied. I wasn't telling, but they would need me tonight. 

I followed Harry, and in a few hours time, was on the Hogwarts Express, sat in a compartment with Harry and a surly Ron. 

All was quiet in the compartment, until Lavender came up to the door and breathed on it, then wrote something on the fogged up glass with her finger. 

"Ron plus Lav. . .heart. . .?" I read as she drew. Oh. Now I understood. She was saying she loved him. Personally, I happened to know this was simply some silly crush she had. I felt pity for her, in a way. She was going to die in two years time, and for her, every day was getting closer to her last. 

She mimed 'I miss you' to Ron before walking off. Ron sunk lower in his seat. 

"Oh, bloody hell . . ." he muttered. "All she ever wants to do is snog! My lips are chapped, look!" 

"I'll take your word for it." Harry said, and I nodded silently in agreement.  

Just then, Hermione strode by, stooped, looked at the drawing in disgust and stalked off.  

"So, what happens if you break an Unbreakable Vow?" Harry asked Ron, who glowered at the door, where the heart was slowly disappearing, breaking apart as the warmth got to it, as though a precursor to Ron and Lavender's break up, which would happen in just a few, short weeks. 

"You die." he said simply. The compartment returned to the silence that had filled it for most of the journey, and I allowed my gaze to roam outside to the countryside as it rushed by.

Some time later, we were all sat in The Burrow, a curious mess of a home that the Weasleys lived in. It was quaint, and I found myself liking it very much. Molly handed me a scone and I munched it. It was quite nice. I'd found myself eating a lot more lately, something I never usually did, and as a result, my body was actually beginning to behave like it wasn't a simple disguise. Was some other, more ancient magic at work here? Was I becoming human just because I looked like one?

I heard Molly and Arthur go to the door to say goodbye to Remus and Nymphadora, who were heading home.  

"Are you sure you won't stay?" I heard Molly ask them as I walked up to the door. 

"No, we should go." Nymphadora said. "The first night of the cycle is always the worst." she added under her breath. I looked at Remus and walked out to stand by him, noticing the way the hairs on his knuckles rose.

He could sense them, too.

Just then, fire erupted around the house a little way away from us, and Bellatrix appeared. 

"Right on time." I hadn't realised I spoke aloud until I saw Remus throw me a sharp, hard look. 

Whoops.

Just then, Harry burst out of the house, wand drawn, and Bellatrix darted off, Harry following. I took myself out of the line of mortal sight and flew after him. Literally. Gliding just above the reeds of the marsh, I followed, watching as Harry ran, Ginny not far behind.  

Harry stopped not long after Bellatrix. Harry raised his wand and was about to cast a spell, when - 

"No, Harry! It's a trap!" Ginny screamed. 

Harry stopped and jumped back just as Fenrir Greyback jumped down, his eyes gleaming madly. 

"Don't you smell clean." he said, grinning, revealing his sharp teeth. I dropped, becoming visible to human sight once more as Bellatrix turned on Ginny. I stepped in front of Ginny and allowed a glimpse of my true self to shine through my eyes. The effect on Bellatrix was electric and not what I had in mind. 

"Avada Kedavra!" she screeched, her eyes flaring wide in fear. The spell flew towards me and slammed into me, knocking me over. Harry yelled something. He'd probably forgotten that I was Death. Ginny screamed in shock and horror. I stood up and Bellatrix gaped at me, then ran for it, along with Greyback. 

"H-how did you survive that?" Ginny asked me, trembling, the adrenaline racing through her. She was scared, scared for Harry. Scared of me.  

Harry eyed me, and then comprehension dawned, and I nodded. 

"Nothing can kill me, Harry" 

"Why?" Ginny demanded, her eyes darting between Harry and I. 

"I'd like to know that myself." Remus said, stepping out with Ron, Fred and George. "I saw you get hit by that curse. No one can survive that." 

A small smile stole across my lips. 

"He's not -" Harry began, but was silenced as I lifted a hand. 

"No, Harry. Leave it. Far be it from me to keep a secret." I eyed Remus levelly. "You wish to know how I survived, Remus John Lupin?" 

His eyes widened in shock at the use of his full name. 

I shook my head, shaking off the glamour, allowing my true form to be revealed. Ron yelled out and stepped back, as did Harry. Ginny screamed and clung tight onto Harry, and Fred and George gaped at me. Remus, however, pointed his wand at me. 

"I am Death." I said.