Chapter Twenty-Two: The Campaign Ball

It's nearly comical how seriously the Masons take these gatherings. I swear, everyone at the Mason's Mansion lose their minds about this Ball.

I was woken up at six, just like a school day, although we didn't even have school today. Then Ms. Jameson rushed me to the dining hall where a hot plate of chocolate chip pancakes were already waiting for me on the table.

"Remember, your prep team will be here at 7:15 sharp.", Ms. Jameson reminded me for the fifth time that morning, as I sat down to eat my breakfast. I nodded as I took another bite of my pancakes.

Once she left, I asked John, who was sitting across from me with a plate of his own pancakes, "Do they always take this thing so seriously? I mean, how long can it take to get ready?"

John laughed, "Oh trust me, it really does take all day. And you'll have it worse than all of us, because it's your first time."

I frowned, "Are you joking with me?"

"I'm afraid not. You're not in Kansas anymore, Dorothy.", He said, laughing at my distraught facial expression.

"Just great.", I muttered sarcastically, stuffing another mouthful of deliciousness into my hungry mouth.

After I finished my pancakes, Ms. Jameson rushed me to my feet and practically began to drag me away from the table. I barely got to say goodbye to John before I was rushed out of the dining hall.

I somehow ended up in a room full of make-up artists, hair dressers, and the rest of what Ms. Jameson had called my "prep team". There had to be about ten or so people in the room, all there to make me look beautiful for the Ball.

I was bustled into a chair in front of a mirror, where I was quickly greeted by my beauty team, or whatever they called themselves. "Hi Kendall. I'm Jo, the head of your prep squad today.", a fashionable dark haired lady said vibrantly to me. "And this is the rest of the squad, but we will introduce ourselves along the way. We only have eight hours to get this show on the road!"

Eight hours! What did they plan to do in eight hours?! Fly to the freaking moon?!

Apparently, they were not going to the moon, but only planning to torture me. By waxing off practically ever hair on my body.

They waxed my legs, arms, you name it, and it was gone. Well, except for my head hair that is. The entire process had to take an entire hour, and by the last wax strip, I could no longer feel my legs.

After all my hair was gone, I was scrubbed head to toe with a rough body scrub, until several layers of my skin were gone and I felt like a newborn baby. After hours of being surrounded by nail artists, make-up artists, and a few hairstylists, I was done. Well, almost. I still had to go through an outfit stylist, but then I would finally be done.

For some reason, the glam squad had insisted not to let me look at a mirror, so it was still unclear to me if the past six and a half hours have done anything to clean up my appearance.

"You look so gorge.", Jo squealed, admiring her handiwork. Several of the other squad members agreed with Jo, each of them telling me how beautiful I was.

"Thanks. Can I look now?", I asked Jo pleadingly.

"Almost. Once you are dressed in your gown, you can look.", She said, making me frown.

I sighed, "Well, can I get dressed then?"

Jo cracked a smile, "I suppose."

I happily got out of the chair and followed Jo to where my gown was waiting for me. It still amazed me how beautiful the dress was. Every time I saw it, it took my breath away. The ivory embroidery on the dress, the diamond encrusted top, and the wide neckline, all perfectly combined into an elegant satin gown. All for me.