Ch. 4

It was a sweltering afternoon in the bodega, and Vanessa had decided to return, despite the previous mishaps involving certain wrenches and certain unsuspecting cousins. Sonny leaned against the fridge (which was sparking a lot less, now) and watched the two flirt. Vanessa was simply shameless, and Usnavi was having a hard time keeping up.

"Another late night, eh? Whoever you were with, he's got nothing on these biceps. I bench press six gallons of milk and two cases of Goya beans," offered Usnavi.

Vanessa replied, "It was my mom. They shut off our power. Again."

Looking slightly at a loss for words, Usnavi handed her a coffee cup.

"Coffee, whole milk. Very sweet. Little bit of cinnamon."

Vanessa gratefully accepted the cup. "Mm, just like my abuela used to do."

Trying in vain to wink, Usnavi said the first thing that popped into his mind.

"That's what all the ladies say: I remind them of their grandma."

Sonny couldn't take it anymore. He cleared his throat.

"Good morning!"

Vanessa looked up. Smiling at Sonny, she went over to him. Suddenly, she got a text from Daniela.

From: Dani

Dani: VANESSA

Dani: IM THIRSTY, COÑO

Sheepishly, Vanessa turned her attention back to Sonny.

"Can I get a Pepsi and some packing tape?"

Glancing at Usnavi to see if he was listening, Sonny leaned toward Vanessa and lowered his voice just enough to seem secretive, but not enough for Usnavi hot to hear.

"Uh, my cousin over there, with his tongue hanging out, has been meaning to ask you..."

Vanessa chuckled as Usnavi turned bright red. "Yes?"

"...What a lady--such as yourself--might be doin' tonight."

"Does your cousin dance?"

Sonny grinned maliciously.

"Like a drunk Chita Rivera."

Vanessa raised her voice again. "Okay... after Nina's dinner, we can hit a few clubs, and... check out the fireworks."

Beaming, she waved goodbye to Sonny and skipped out the door, forgetting to pay for her packing tape and soda. Sonny turned back to Usnavi, victorious. He opened his mouth to say something snarky as he put his hand on Usnavi's shoulder, but his cousin shoved it off.

"Oh, snap! Who's that?! Don't touch me, I'm too hot!"

Sonny shook his head in disbelief as his cousin waltzed out the door, muttering to himself. The only things the kid was able to catch were Yes!, Que paso?, and various exuberant squeals. Suddenly, Usnavi peeked his head back through the door.

"Oh! And Sonny, anything you want is free, man!"

The candy was gone within a span of three minutes.