Graffiti Pete/Sonny

"¿Oye, que pasó?"

"Blackout, blackout!"

What had begun as a normal night in the club had become a powerhouse of panic. Neighbors shoved and shouted as they blindly fumbled to escape the darkness.

Sonny de la Vega staggered out of the pub and into the night, frantically scanning the crowd for his cousin. He only had two thoughts in his head: Usnavi's store and his best friend, Graffiti Pete.

The jostling mob shocked Sonny back into his senses, elbowing him into a wall. He grunted in pain, and breathing heavily, he raced through the dark alleys to the corner store. Finally spotting the store's silhouette, Sonny's hand fumbled with the door.

Suddenly, another hand grasped his shoulder and whirled him around. Sonny gasped, then, realizing it was Graffiti Pete, he breathed a sigh of relief.

"They throwin' bottles in the street; people lootin' and shootin'--Sonny, they wanna see a robbery. We gotta keep moving!" Pete's hand lingered on Sonny's shoulder as the teenager protested.

"Naw, man, I can't leave; we gotta guard the store!"

"They gonna bombard the store until you ain't got a store no more."

Sonny stared at Graffiti Pete. He wanted to leave with him, not to brave the thugs. But Sonny had to make Usnavi proud. He would never be noticed otherwise. Just then, he remembered:

"I got a baseball bat on a rack in the back..."

As if on cue (haha), Graffiti Pete interjected, "I got a couple a' roman candles, we can distract the vandals."

Sonny grabbed Pete's hand and their fingers intertwined as Sonny noticed the shadows moving in the streets. Oh, sh... 

"Hey, yo, I see some thugs comin', we gonna get jacked up!"

"Gimme a light, I'll be right back."