Ch. 1

Okay, I didn't think the oneshot was long (or good) enough, so suffice to say I'm turning this into a fully-fledged fanfiction with chapters and everything! Warning: It shall be filled with my cruddy drawings trying to imitate Graffiti Pete's amazing artistic abilities... so be prepared.

"Sonny! Wake up!"

Usnavi yanked the covers off his cousin's bed. "Time for work!"

Groaning, Sonny covered his head with his pillow, mumbling something unintelligible. It was much too early to start work.

Finally, after much threatening from Usnavi to dump a glass of water on his head, Sonny sat up. He groggily rubbed his eyes as he pulled on his shorts. Slipping on a shirt he found on the floor, he trudged out the door.

Arriving at the bodega, Sonny immediately saw the line of customers and groaned again. He stepped up to the cashier while Usnavi made coffee. Vanessa was first.

"Hey, Sonny, can I get a--"

"Hold up a minute, I think Usnavi needs to take this order. Can't remember it; I'm only a kid, you know." Winking at Vanessa, who sighed and rolled her eyes, Sonny turned around to get his cousin's attention.

"Yo, Usnavi! A little help over here?"

Sonny moved on to the next customer, elbowing Usnavi to make a move with Vanessa.

The day continued as usual, and then it was time to close up shop. Giving one last effort to close the broken grate, Sonny began to make his way to the alley behind the bodega, first walking, then skipping, then running as he spotted his best friend. Smiling furiously, he tackled Graffiti Pete in a bear hug.

"Whoa, Sonny, why the rush?" Pete said, hugging him back.

"It's been a long day."

"Tell me about it. Is it just me, or has it gotten even hotter than yesterday? I didn't think that was possible."

Sonny laughed and released his friend. Suddenly, Graffiti Pete snapped his fingers: "Oh, I almost forgot!" Pulling out a scrap of folded paper, he handed it to Sonny, grinning sheepishly. Sonny opened it and immediately almost dropped it. He gasped in pleasure: it was a sketch of Usnavi with his tongue hanging out at Vanessa. It was smudged and faded, but the resemblance was undeniable, nonetheless.

 It was smudged and faded, but the resemblance was undeniable, nonetheless

(Sorry about the terrible quality--my computer's camera isn't the best. Pete would've drawn it better, but hey! I worked with what I could actually accomplish, okay?)

"Pete, this is amazing!"

"I hoped you'd like it..." Graffiti Pete blushed--Sonny had never seen him blush before--a very deep shade of red. Smirking, Sonny tried to toy with this new effect on his friend.

"This is the best drawing I've ever seen (deeper red), in fact, I think you should show this to the whole barrio (almost maroon, now)--except for Vanessa an Usnavi of course--but, still!"

By the end of this exercise, Graffiti Pete was practically a tomato. Trailing off of his rant, Sonny couldn't help but notice the way his lips turned up in an embarrassed smile, the way his face glowed with pleasure... 

Shut up, Sonny. He's your best friend, scolded his conscience. Bending his fingers back with one hand, Sonny cleared his throat.

"Anyways..."

"Anyways."

"Can you teach me?"

"What?" Graffiti Pete's eyebrow lifted in confusion.

"Can you teach me how to draw like that?"

"Oh, okay. I don't have any paper right now..."

Grinning, Sonny withdrew a small notepad from his pocket. "I just happen to have a--well, I mean, it's not like I've been sav--I mean--wait, what?"

Graffiti Pete laughed and slipped a pencil into Sonny's hand. Sonny sucked in his breath as Pete's fingers closed around his.

"Now, let's try to do that fire escape. That's right... try to give it perspective... shade in with light strokes--lighter--now, you've got it..."

The light dimmed as the shadows fell on the two friends in the alley.