Chapter 5 Eragon

Author's note this chapter is mostly important scenes of the original plot that I couldn't leave out. I know I hate it when important scenes are left out of movies, so I knew I couldn't leave this part out. I have rephrased it somewhat so it isn't entirely in Christopher Paolini's words. All the quotes from the first book (Eragon), all the Eragon plot, and characters such as Eragon and Brom Belong to Christopher Paolini. The next chapter will be partially from one of the seven's point of view. And for the other part, I am going to try and do something different and write using Brom's point of view. Let me know how I am doing. Comment, vote and enjoy.

Eragon's point of view

After my encounter with Frank, I turned and started to go back to Joed's house but when I got there I decided to go in the Herbalist's shop. The interior of the store was dark due to the crawling plants that covered the window. Once my eyes adjusted to the darkness I saw a strange bird in a cage near the window, and there were plants everywhere. I saw that the wall behind the counter was covered in draws of every size. There was a foot wide gap in the drawers high above, I suddenly saw a pair of red eyes flash in the dark space and a large cat jumped onto the counter. The cat was unlike any I had ever seen, it had a thin body with powerful shoulders and large paws, a shaggy mane surrounded its angular face.

I reached out with my mind and touched the cat's consciousness, and tried to make it understand that I was a friend.

I heard someone say, "You don't have to do that."

I looked around, when I didn't see anyone I thought that it must have been Saphira and asked where she was. When she didn't answer I was slightly confused. I leaned on the counter and reached for a wood rod that was there.

I heard the voice again, this time it had said, "That wouldn't be wise."

In my mind I said angrily, "Stop playing games Saphira."

I picked up the rod and a shock of electricity went through my body. I fell to the floor. The pain faded slowly and the cat jumped down onto the floor.

The cat said "you aren't very smart for a dragon rider, I did warn you."

I finally realized that it had been the cat that had been speaking to me the whole time. I said, "You said that!"

The cat replied, "Who Else?"

"You're just a cat," I argued.

The cat yowled and jumped up onto my chest and crouched there with gleaming eyes. I tried to get up but the cat growled and showed its fangs.

The cat asked. "Do I look like other cats?"

"No," I admitted.

"Then what makes you think I am one?" The cat asked.

I tried to say something, but the cat dug its claws into my chest.

The cat said, "Obviously your education has been neglected. I- to correct your mistake am a werecat. There aren't many of us left, but I think even a farm boy should have heard of us."

"I didn't know you were real," I admitted.

I knew I was fortunate. Werecats were always flitting around the edges of stories, keeping to themselves and occasionally giving advice. If the legends were true, they had magical powers, lived longer than humans, and usually knew more than they told. I continued to talk to the werecat, some of its statements left me confused. The werecat warned me that the rod would shock me again if I didn't set it down.

I asked the werecat what the rod was; the werecat said, "A common and boring artifact, unlike myself"

"But what's it for?" I asked.