Chapter 9

"Oh Ida!" Cecelia ran to her and offered another one of her surprising hugs that seemed to be so popular today. She stayed there in Ida's embrace for who knows how long and finally, she released. "I am so glad to see you! So much has happened and my dad... oh my dad!" Then Cecelia started sobbing loudly and tears were pouring down her face as if the dam behing her eyes had burst.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was apparent that something terrible had happened to Cece's father but what could it be? She was crying too loudly and too hard to even think about stopping her to ask what happened. That would only make things worse. Ida started thinking about what could have happened. So many possibilities. DId he go into some sort of shock? Will he never wake up from his coma? Is he paralized? Or.. oh no... it couldn't be. Is he.... dead? I hope for Cece's sake that he isn't. Ida looked up and Lark's doctor, Dr. Chopra was it, was still standing there looking like the lamb that Mary lost. "Doctor... what happened? Please.... please.... don't tell me he's... dead." Ida's eyes grew wider with anticipation as he looked up grimly at her. She had no clue what was going to come out of his mouth. It seemed like a thousand years before he could spit the answer out but when he finally did Ida's heart slowed and she hugged Cecelia once more but tighter. "Shhhh... it's okay," Ida whispered. She sat down and held Cecelia in her lap like a child until her sobbing turned to a whimper, then silence.

After Cecelia had composed herself and stood from her previous fetus position, they started back towards the hospital. Not a word was spoken, a sorry murmered, nothing. Ida didn't know what was going on in Cece's head. This was definitely the first time for that seeing as Ida had always been able to read her mind just through her expressions. She wished she knew what Cece was thinking so she could comfort her in the best way and say the right things. But for now, that wasn't happening, so she continued on, slowing as she saw Cecelia and glance up at the sign above the entrance of the hospital, staring blankly.

"Come on Cece, it will be okay. I promise." Cecelia looked over at Ida with the same expression that Ida had seen on her face earlier but with a bit more confidence. "He's going to be fine."

"I know." she mutters as she crosses the threshold.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know I should probably be mad at Ida right now but I just can't stand losing another person, another friend. I am just going to ignore what happened yesterday and ask questions later but for now, I need to go see my father. Dr. Chopra said he was going to be just fine, right? Yes. He said that he would make a full recovery and that there were no complications...thus far. Yes. He will be okay. He will be okay. He will be okay.

Cecelia's last thoughts were pleading ones. She wanted so desperately for her father to return home. And her mother as well. She wanted to have her family back. Her life back.

They were nearing her father's room when Dr. Chopra said," Well, this is where we part ladies. I know you have had a really rough time lately but Ms. Taylor, you will be just fine. I must go and check up on my other patients. Please... take care of yourself." Then he leaves their presence.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As they walk in, Ida averted Lark's eyes feeling her cheeks grow hot. How would she even be able to look past what Lark did? Surely he was the one who invoked the inciting incident. I just can't believe that he would betray me, my father.... his own daughter. What an awful man.

Ida's eyes fill with disgust as she tries to seem indifferent... for Cece's sake.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Cecelia," Lark says

He felt groggy and still couldn't see straight but he thought he could just make out a small figure that looked similar to his daughter.

"Cecelia, is that you?" She looked bewildered. As if she thought he was dead and then he came back to life. "Wait.. wher-" Cecelia ran to him and squeezed him so tight that he couldn't make out his next words. The pain was excrusiating but after seeing the look on her face, it was worth it.

"Dad? How are you? What do you remember? Are you okay? What happened? What did you do? What where you thinking? If you didn't feel okay why didn't you call someone? Dad?!" The rush of words made his brain hurt. They were all kind of mushed together and slurred and he didn't really comprehend most of it so he just mutters a, "Um, yeah."

Lark started to look around. He was in a hospital. Why am I in a hospital? Okay let's see. The last thing I remember is Cecelia's voice but I couldn't make out her words... and everything was dark. No, no. Before that.. what do I remember? I was walking out into the yard and I was getting some fresh air when, oh, I started having pain and I was seizing! What happened to me? Oh my goodness. I fell and hit my head. Well, I'm thinking clearly. I can move. Lark wiggled his fingers. And I am also talking to myself.. hmm... nothing out of the usual.

"So how are you, Bunny?" Lark says with a forced smile.

"Oh, Daddy. It's so good to have you back." Cecelia embraces Lark with a big grin across her face.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About two hours later...

"So how's it feel to be back at home in your bed?"

"Well, it feels like a bunch of old memories. But I'm glad you're here pumpkin," Lark says with a smile.

Ever since dad has been in the hospital he has treated me like he used to... before mom left. It's strange to see him acting normal. It's like normal isn't normal anymore. But I don't care, what ever happened happened and it fixed my daddy.

"Well I'm going to go fix you some hot soup and I will be back to check on you in a minute."

"I'm fine, honey, I promise I'm not going to run away or melt any time soon," Lark says with a chuckle.

"It's not exactly that that I'm worried about," Cecelia says looking down.

"Oh come here sweetheart," Lark says pulling Cecelia down to sit next to him on the bed," I'm not going anywhere... ever. I promise. Okay? I love you and I'll never leave you. No. Matter. What." Lark kisses Cecelia's forehead and releases her.