Chapter 1 - The Detective and The Boyfriend

© 2013, Maggie Kim. All Rights Reserved.

____________________________________________________________

Chapter 1 - The Detective and The Boyfriend

June 22, 2013

Annoyance filled Layla as she looked at the sobbing boy in front of her. In the nicest voice she could muster, she told the crying boy to please stop and explain the story to her.

"I-it was a-about 9 o'clock last night..." The boy began, taking a big breath, "I was coming home from work, and when I reached the door of my apartment, I heard a loud bang then the shattering of glass. I twisted the door knob, and found it unlocked, I rushed in only to find Louis bleeding on the ground and... And... And the window was smashed open-” the boy stopped and broke into tears again.

The client profile that was given to Layla along with the came told her that her client's name is Harry Styles. She also examined the file of the victim, Louis Tomlinson.

"The Louis that you spoke of... What's your relation to him?"      

"He’s my boyfriend." Those words caused a pang in Layla heart. She shook those feelings away as she continues to question the young boy.

“What’s Louis’s condition right now?”

“He’s in the ICU.” Harry's phone rang just as Layla was about to ask another question.

My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard,

And they’re like, it’s better than yours.

Layla rose an eyebrow, silently questioning Harry’s choice of ring tone, she watched as Harry blushed, whispered a quick sorry and stepped out of the room. A few minutes later, Harry stepped back into the room, color drained from his face as he muttered a jumble of incomprehensible sentences.

“Hospital... Critical...” It didn’t take a genius to figure out what had happened.

“I have to go to the hospital. Now” Harry managed to get out, his urgency worried Layla.

“Mr. Styles, would it be alright if I come with you?” Layla asked, she then added, “To see the condition of the victim and-“ Harry saw her blabbing as a time waster, he quickly nodded as they made their way out of the law firm.

“We can take my car.” Layla spoke up as the employee parking lot was a lot closer than the guests. Harry quickly followed Layla, wanted not to waste time. 

“What had happened Mr. Styles?” Layla asked when they departed the law firm.

“The hospital called, they said that Louis just had a seizure and now he’s in critical condition.” Was Harry's quiet reply. The new had shocked Layla, which left the rest of the car ride silent for neither Layla nor Harry could think of a way to continue the conversation.

As soon as Layla parked the car, Harry opened the door, and ran into through the front doors, then right pass the reception desk. Layla walked in after him, probably with just as much urgency as him. She stopped at the desk and showed them her ID, but it seemed that they had remembered Harry from when Louis was admitted. 

"Just follow him dear, something terrible must have happened for his to run like that." The old lady at the reception desk told Layla.

Layla finally caught up to Harry as he slowed down. When he stopped walking, Layla assumed that they were at their destination. Just as Harry’s hands reached towards the door knob, the door swung open and revealed a tall man with buzzed brown hair who sported dark circles under his eyes and a dreaded expression on his face.

“Mr. Styles.” The man gave Harry a short nod as he turned and faced Layla “Hello, I’m Dr. Payne, but you can just call me Liam.”

“Layla.” Was her short reply, “What’s the victim’s condition?” Layla quickly asked, silently, she questioned her urgency and shook it off as she thought the reason was simply because it’s a case and it’s her job to care.

Liam’s face fell as he slowly shook his head, “We tried our best.” A small gasp left Harry as he rushed past Liam and into the room. Liam stepped to the side which allowed Layla to enter the room. When she walked in the room, it was a bit dark, but she could clearly see the many devices, most disconnected and a heart monitor that displayed a straight line. Layla turned to the boy who's currently lying on the hospital bed and she couldn’t help but stare, the boy was awfully good looking, with dark brown hair swept to one side and perfectly kissable- NO. Layla cut herself off, this is not how a proper detective should act. She looked at Harry and found him holding Louis’s hand as he tried to hold in his tears. Layla looked up from the boy and let out a silent gasp. Louis was there, the boy who was just lying lifeless on the hospital bed was suddenly next to Harry, his hands on Harry’s shoulders. This isn’t normal. Layla thought, she looked back at the bed to clarify and the body was there... Then how..? She closed her eyes hoping that she's just hallucinating, but when she reopened her eyes, Louis was still there, now with a single tear that trailed down his cheeks.

“I never got to tell you the truth.” That voice, it was barely a whisper, but it was enough that it sent a small shiver down her spine. Layla’s small movement hadn't escaped Louis’s eyes. He looked up and stared right at her with blue eyes that pierced through her. Layla couldn’t look away, his eyes had captivated her. From the corner of her eye, she saw Harry let go of Louis’s hands and slowly walked out the room.

“You can see me?” Louis’s velvety voice spoke, which broke the silence.

“What...? You... Aren’t you... Dead?” Layla spoke, scared yet so curious about the situation.

“Yeah, well I was suppose to. I guess fate decided that it wasn't my time to leave yet and there is probably something that I needed to fulfill to reach the 'after earch', and I guess since you can see me, you can also help me!” Louis stated, giving Layla a playful smile.

Is he crazy? Help him? I'm not walking around with a possible ghost and helping him on whatever the hell he has to do? Also, what happened to Harry? Why did he suddenly leave the room?

“If you’re wondering about Harry, I used my powers to make him leave the room for a minute. Isn't that cool?” Fright and disbelief filled Layla, but her professional side kicked in as she realized she can just ask Louis who killed him.

“Louis, can you tell me who killed you?” Layla asked, the only thought in her head being that as soon as the answer is given to her, the Styles case would be over and she could go back to her old days where she won't ever have to communicate with ghosts.

“No.” Louis’s face darkened slightly. “That’s one of the reasons why I need your help.” Despair was clear in his speech. This new found information shattered Layla's plans and she realized the only way to solve the case is to befriend Louis.

____________________________________________________________

New story! New story yeah yeah! I hope you enjoy the story! 

Don't forget to vote, comment, fan :)