(19) The Easy Way To an A

Today was the morning of my exams and worryingly, I wasn't worried at all. I mean, normally people stress and worry about how it'll go, what they haven't studied yet, about questions that they might find hard coming in the exam. But me? Nope, I just couldn't be bothered. I know I did my best so worrying won't take me anywhere. 

I was dressed in a sleeveless, cream colored knee length dress, a black leather jacket and brown boots that were long enough to cover my legs. I shoved my pencil box and a few other stuff that would help in last minute studying if I needed to, and ran downstairs already late. I grabbed a protein bar to eat on the way and a plastic water bottle to keep by while doing the paper. 

I took the bus to school and reached there in fifteen minutes. Mumbling a thanks to the driver, I got off the bus and headed straight to the bench where my friends were seated at. Michelle and Brad  were doing intense last minute studying while Rick just sat on the grass watching them in amusement. Sam didn't even need to study, he was already too smart. I joined Rick on the grass since the rest of the space on the bench was occupied by textbooks and past papers.

A minute later I got bored and did my own last minute revision, going through past papers and my own short-notes. Soon after, the bell rang and we all headed in. Students weren't usually so nervous for exams but this was an exception since it was the final exam at high school. You flunk this, you're screwed. I got into the classroom and got seated at my designated seat, waiting for the physics paper to be given out. I'm pretty sure it won't be difficult at all.

**

Who was I kidding? The exams couldn't have gone any more horrible. Half the questions from the exams were from the topics that I didn't bother to study and the rest didn't go good because my mind had totally blanked out. In conclusion, I'm going to fail. And if the other exams are as difficult, I'm going to fail them too and then I would be stuck here repeating another year of high-school, while all my friends would have moved on to college and-

"Sophie, are you okay?" Brad asked in a concerned tone and that's when I realized I was hyperventilating. I took a deep breath to calm myself down and answered him in a cheerful tone.

"Just dandy."

"You didn't seem fine Soph, what's wrong?" Rick asked.

"Nothing much, it's just that the exams didn't go well for me." 

"Oh well, just work a bit harder for the next ones and I'm sure it'll go well. And after this, vacation baby!" Brad said putting his arm around my shoulder trying to cheer me up, and it worked. I smiled and chatted with them a bit more discussing the answers then went off to the library for studying in silence. An hour and a half later I was famished and exhausted, also, the librarian needed to close the library. 

I stopped by Starbucks for a strong coffee and immediately got back to studying when I reached back home, after freshening up first of-course. Everything was going well until evening, when my dad came back home. It's not that I didn't like my dad, these past few days at home had been tense, my parents arguing over petty little things then by the night making up again. 

Dad today was in a bad mood because of work and mom was pissed off at her friend and Liam causing trouble. This obviously weren't encouraging factors for the situation because before I knew it, they were fighting like cats and dogs again. I kept convincing myself that everything will be back to normal soon, all they need to do is shut their traps and let me concentrate on my studies. 

I tried to drown out their voices by shutting the door and playing loud music, but it didn't help me concentrate either. By night time, I was convinced that studying would be impossible and that I was definitely going to fail. And as quick as that thought came, I got an idea, something that I thought I never would do. I picked my phone up and shakily dialed Rick's number. He picked up after four rings.