Cold Water

“Cass…is she ok?”

“She’s fine, lad. Just exhausted.”

I felt something cold touch my forehead and I flinched, my eyes opening slowly.

Alma’s familiar face floated in front of my eyes.

“What are you doing here?”

She smiled. “It’s your turn to be taken care of.”

“I’m fine. I just need sleep.”

“Yes, lass, I would definitely say you need sleep. But you should drink this first.”

A foul smelling concoction floated under my nose and I jutted into wakefulness, moving away from it.

“God that stinks.” I sat up and really looked at her. “What’s it for?”

“Help you sleep, get rid of the lingering affects of withdrawal.”

“Um…I think you have the wrong person. Bren’s in the attic.”

“No, lass. When someone goes through withdrawal, they send out vibes. You are covered in withdrawal magic, you both are.”

“You’re making that up.”

“No, I’m not. You two shared more than just an experience in that attic. Drink this then you need to shower and change clothes. You smell like sweat and vomit.”

I gapped at her. “I just helped a friend through something I never really want to do again, something you were too scared to even do, and you’re telling me I need a shower?”

“And to drink this.” She held out the cup. “Then I’m going to go check on Brenden again.”

“I’m sure Gwen is doing just fine with sick nurse duties.”

“Nonetheless, he needs to drink the same thing I’m giving you.”

I grimaced at her but took the cup. “Thank you.”

“It was a very foolish thing you did. It could’ve cost you both your lives.” She looked very stern.

“I had to. I made him a promise and I came through. Everyone can breathe a sigh of relief now that we don’t have to worry he’ll die if Gwen doesn’t dose him every couple of days.”

“Still…”

I downed the contents of the cup and then got up on shaky legs.

“You can go now.”

“You’re supposed to sleep after drinking that.”

She had that stern but all knowing tone. I ignored her and headed for the bathroom.

“Do not be angry with me, Cass. Even your mother would tell you that you acted foolishly. You’re not practiced enough, trained enough, for what you just did. It was very thoughtless.”

I didn’t respond, just grabbed a change of clothes and headed for the bathroom. I took both a shower and a bath. I didn’t know how long I’d slept before she woke me up but I felt a lot better. I didn’t need any more sleep than I already had.

The hallway was full of voices so I wasn’t surprised when I came out and saw everyone gathered at the base of the stairs to the attic. Bren looked infinitely better but still tired. Gwen looked just as tired but pleased. His mother was scolding him for not telling her in the first place but looked happy. Alma was talking to all three of them quietly. About what, I didn’t know. I didn’t really care. My father was watching the whole thing with weary eyes, like he was afraid they’d start fighting or something.