Chapter 22

We arrived at the hospital and I started freaking out. I knew that as soon as that nurse called my name, I would go into a room alone and I would be prepped for surgery. Bobby told me he would be there for me. He's not gonna be there to hold my hand when they put the IV in. He's not gonna be there to help calm my nerves as soon as I lie down on that hospital bed. What on earth could he be doing that could be more important than his girlfriend?

"Arlene Allen," the nurse called. I looked over at Charles and Charlotte.

"I'll go with her," Charles offered. I immediately brightened up. Right now, I didn't care who went with me to that room. I just knew I needed comfort before I had to get an IV stuck in my arm.

   The nurse lead us to the back room.

"I'm just gonna check your heart and we can start with the IV." the nurse said. I glanced at Charles nervously.

"It's okay, Arlene." Charles said, trying to calm me down. "Just take deep breaths."

"After the first little prick, this won't hurt at all. Don't worry." the nurse smiled. I nodded and took a deep breath. I turned away before she stuck the needle in my arm. It didn't hurt as bad as I thought it was, but it was still freaking me out that I had to keep this IV in my arm until I fell asleep.

"I'm scared," I whispered when the nurse left.

"Don't be. I'll stay here with you until they tell me I have to go back to the waiting room. Everything will be fine, and if you need anything before you fall asleep, I'd be glad to get it for you." Charles replied.

"Thank you guys so much for everything. You and Charlotte have been my second parents and the best parents I've ever had, and Candice has been the best sort of little sister I've ever had. And Bobby has been the best guy in my life, besides you. Please let everyone know that I love them and I'm thankful to all of them if anything happens to me. And tell Bobby to tell the whole youth group, including the pastor, that I love them and that they have been my encouragement on my walk with God." this was all I wanted in case something happened to me throughout this surgery.

"Tell them yourself when you get out of this hospital. I love you, Arlene. I feel like you are my own daughter. I'll be praying for you while you're in here." Charles replied.

"Thank you so much. I love you, too." just then I started feeling drowsy. I yawned and closed my eyes. Charles held my hand as I fell asleep. I was so thankful for my "Dad." Well, he would be my dad (in law) if I lived long enough to marry Bobby.

   I opened my eyes, and when I did, I didn't even know where I was.

"Where am I?" I asked. I wasn't in the hospital. Charles wasn't there. No one was there. The sun was shining right on my face, and I felt like I was walking on a cloud.

"My daughter, I love you." I heard a loud voice that roared like thunder.

"Who is it?" I asked.

No answer.

   I looked around and saw a Cross.

"What the—,"

"Lay your loads down here," the loud voice said again.

I didn't even realize it, but I held a big bag on my back.

No wonder my feet were so sore. I thought. I took the bag off of my back and laid it down before the Cross. I felt so much better; like a weight had been lifted off of me.

"Thank you," I whispered. Was I in Heaven? Did I die? No. I would know if I died, and I didn't. It was just a dream.

"I love you, my child," said the voice. I realized then that it was God!