Chapter Sixteen: The Truth About Jessie

*Mary’s POV*

“Jack, this is getting worse.” I whispered to my husband after we had stayed up to wait for Cam to come home. It was way past midnight; we had already fallen asleep multiple times and had woken up at any flicker of sound.

“It’s almost four in the morning.” Jack nodded, blowing out a frustrated breath as he thrust a hand through his hair.

“Jessie has been gone for almost a month,” then I frowned as I remembered something. “I should say Jessica.”

Sighing I leaned back against Jack’s hard body carefully to not disturb his injuries. He wrapped his strong arms around me and I sank into his warmth.

“What I want to know is what went down between them.” Jack muttered, irritated. He was not the only one.

*Flashback to a month ago*

Cam had come home, breaking in the door and had tried to make his way up the stairs, if he had not been swaying. I could practically smell the alcohol on him; I wrinkled my nose and scowled.

“Why are you drunk? Did you drive home?!” I yelled at him angrily. What was wrong with him?! If he had driven under the influence I was seriously gonna give him a hurtin’.

“How ‘bout I give you a riddle,” he slurred, stepping down the stairs until he was on the very first step. I growled at him, the family had heard the commotion and there were the rest of my sons walking in.

“What the hell is all this bangin’?” Jack came into the room and stopped when he saw Cam, who could barely stand up right.

“What has two legs, a lying smile and a black heart?” he slurred/ asked us. I gave a startled look to Jack, who looked equally as confused. Then I looked to my sons, who just stared at him like he was going mad.

“No guesses? Alright, I’ll give you a hint. Red hair, blue eyes. . . .The one I was going to ask to marry.” Cam gave a hiccup that also clashed with a sob.

“She said no?” We all thought Jessie would say yes. Cam shook his head and let out a laugh, though there was no humour in it. “No, I didn’t even get to ask her.” He closed his eyes for a moment before blinking them open as I struggled to hold back my own tears. My son looked destroyed.

“Where’s Jessie? We all thought she was with you.” Tyler asked Cam, alarmed. A head ache was starting to form as I rubbed my temples to relieve the annoying pain.

“That’s not her name.” Cam breathed out softly, looking at his feet as his fists clenched. He didn’t look angry or even sounded furious, though my blood was beginning to boil at Cam’s rowdy behaviour. “What? You’re not making any sense Cam.” Jack walked up to Cam and stared at him, grabbing his shoulder. “What happened?”

“She’s been lying all along. Jessie—” he choked on her name as though the very word burned in his mouth. “—is not her real name; everything she told me was a lie.”

“Cam! You’re drunk; you shouldn’t be saying things about her.” I scolded him, Marcus, Perry and Tyler had remained quiet, their eyes as wide as innocent children who were watching their parents fight.

Cam reached into his pocket and brought up crumpled pieces of papers. He thrust the paper into my hands and stared at me, impassive. I gave him another disapproving look and sighed as I unrolled the pieces and began to read.

I stared at the documents, disbelieving.

“She did lie.” I said very quietly to myself.

This crumpled pieces of papers had dried tears on it; the little splashes were almost condemning as the information. It said Jessie was born to Adam and Esmeralda Maureen, and had three sons with only a daughter.