19

Seokmin's eyes widen in surprise as he turns to face the person behind him, Wonwoo shrugging prior to leaving the two alone. Seokmin forces himself to walk forward as he approaches, a lump caught in his throat. Her eyes avoided his as she stared at the ground, her feet kicking the rocks and leaves below. He clears his throat to announce his presence, Inhyung looking up with wide eyes. The two remain quiet as they travel deeper into the forest, the sounds of nature serving as ambiance for them.

"So how much do you think we need to collect?" Inhyung asked.

"Well a lot," He replied as if it wasn't obvious enough. Inhyung looked at him with raised eyebrows, Seokmin scratching the back of his neck out of nervousness. "I don't know the exact amount because they never told me. But my assumption would be for us to get a lot." He further explained himself. Inhyung simply nodded along even though he could tell she wasn't satisfied with his answer. Through the corner of his eyes he could spot a smirk worn across Inhyung's face, Seokmin left silent. "Are you enjoying the trip so far?"

"Yeah, it's pretty fun. I've never had the opportunity to go out on trips like this."

"Have you never gone on a family trip to the mountains before?" Seokmin asked as he started up a conversation. "A lot of families tend to do that when their kids are younger. My friends went on a joint camping trip before."

"My parents were never able to, they were always busy." She responded, Seokmin nodding. The two traveled further and further into the woods while picking up small twigs every now and then.

"Hey Inhyung," Seokmin says, Inhyung turning to face him. "can I ask you something?" She simply nods, Seokmin taking in a deep breath prior to exhaling. "What's your relationship with Seungcheol?"

"What do you mean?" She replies, a little taken aback.

"I mean, what are you to Seungcheol? Half of me thinks your a couple but the other half is still unsure." He clarifies. Inhyung stops in her tracks, Seokmin turning back to face her. He walks back to where she stands, Seokmin's eyebrows knitted in confusion when he notices her eyes staring at the ground.

"We're not dating," She speaks, her eyes still glued to the leaves scattered among the wet ground below. "What made you think that?" Her eyes meet his as well as a mixture of confusion and worry within them. Seokmin scratched the back of his neck as regret starts to settle in, Inhyung's voice snapping him out of his trance.

"It's just, that one night when I walked you back home and Seungcheol stepped out as you went in -" He tries to justify.

"We live together." Inhyung says, Seokmin's eyes widening in surprise only to have Inhyung quickly continue as she saw his reaction. "It's not what you're thinking." She grabs the various twigs and sticks from his arms and places them on top of a fallen tree prior to motioning him over. "Let me explain, the reason him and I live together is because my current situation is currently facing a 'bump in the road'. He's a childhood friend whom I've known for nearly a decade now, he was kind enough to let me into his home when things were difficult. So that is why he can seem 'clingy' when really he's just looking out for me. Please don't take things the wrong way."

"I won't," Seokmin promises. He finds it hard to swallow the lump in his throat but manages, his sudden prying causing even more regret. "You story is safe with me." He sticks out his pinky in hopes she'll do the same, the two swearing on it. "Let's get a few more before returning." Inhyung nods in agreement prior to picking up the twigs and small branches she set down right as Seokmin continues to venture out.

Raindrops fall onto the canopies of the trees above, the two only catching little amounts of raindrops compared to the drizzle beyond the treetops. It's not enough to soak them but it does decrease the temperature.

Seokmin looks back to make sure Inhyung is still following, her small frame refraining from shaking. He stops and shrugs off his jacket as he sets down the few wood scraps he's managed to collect, he walks back over to Inhyung prior to placing the jacket over her shoulders. She flashes a small smile as he pulls the hood over her head, his hand grasping hers.

The trees start to resemble the sky as they travel farther into the woods, Seokmin's hand still holding Inhyung's.

"Seokmin, don't you think we've collected enough?" Inhyung asks.

"Finding wood doesn't concern me at this point." He replies.

"Then why are we still -" Inhyung continues before realization hits her. "Seokmin, are we lost?"