Part 11

Betty’s tea shop, not at all the same one that is in the real city of York, but the one in Sanctum, at the end of Narrow Street, right near the South Gate. Betty was a man, Norman Bettifer (so I suppose it should be called Betti’s really), he was sitting on the front reading a newspaper when he saw Tresham and the others.

“Good morning Tresh,” he said to Tresham.

“Morning Betti, we’ve come for some information.”

Just then I had to interrupt because I needed Sid and Arthur to help Lizzie again.

“What’s it this time?” asked Sid. “Has she lost one of her petticoats?”

They both vanished, not because they used their IWTs, but because I made them.

“What is this?” asked Betti.

“Sid and Arthur from The Crying Pennant,” explained Tresham, “they need to help Lizzie McBean out from The Sun Thief.”

Betti looked nonplussed.

“Oh, and I’d better tell you now, Gunby and I are clones.”

“Circus clowns?”

“No clones not clowns.”

“I am sorry, I have a problem with surreality, my doctor told me I need to keep away from it. Can we just talk as though everything is normal?”

“Of course.”

“Uh,” uhed Gunby.

“What’s the matter with him?” asked Betti.

“Er,” Tresham tried to explain it without being too surreal, “he’s got a headache.”

“It’s probably caffeine withdrawal, I’d better be quick and bring him a cup of char.” Betti went to get some tea.