chapter eighteen

Ambrose's POV

"You can probably put her down now, sweetheart."

I had counted that phrase approximately fifteen times within the last hour in which I had been holding Lilly. And each time my answer was the same.

"When she wakes up, then she can walk again."

And each time her response was the same.

"Hmmph."

My arms were starting to feel a little tired, after all we had probably already walked about five kilometers. But, I pressed on, knowing that we needed to get to our destination as quickly as we could.

"Why did you not bring her anything to eat earlier?"

"I forgot," Croonie shrugged her bony shoulders nonchalantly.

Part of me wanted to lash out, while the other part of me was rational and knew that I only needed to be nice to her till we got to London. Normally the rational part of me was the only existing one. But when matters came to Lilly, that seemed to change.

"She won't die, I've gone more than one day without food before..."

Her voice sounded almost sad as she told me that. What was I supposed to do? Pity her?

"So have I," I said sharply, "But my secretary here has never had to deal with hunger, and shouldn't have to."

"Why do you care so much?"

"I don't," I hissed, "It is just extra trouble, having to carry a body through the forest at night."

"And your hand on my arm isn't helping," I continued, not being able to hide the annoyance in my voice.

"You seem angry with me," she pointed out.

"I am just a little tired," I admitted to her, hoping she'd decide to stop talking.

"Then it's my job to keep you awake!" Croonie said cheerfully.

"Oh, can't you understand I want you to shut up?" I wanted to say.

But I kept silent. The last thing I needed was for her to be cross with me, after I had worked to get her on my side.

Just then, Lilly stirred softly in my arms. I stopped then, to see if she was going to wake.

"Is she waking up?"

"It would seem so," I grumbled.

Slowly, Lilly's eyes fluttered open and she stared at me with soft confusion.

"Where am I?" She asked.

"In the forest! We're escaping, don't you remember?" Croonie snapped.

"Oh god, did I faint? Put me down!" Lilly croaked.

"I'm sure you can barely stand," I warned her, "You're hungry."

"No, I'll be fine, just put me down," she whined.

Lowering her closer to the ground, I let her get on her feet, and immediately placed my hands on her shoulders to steady her.

Facing her, I asked, "Are you sure you can stand on your own, Miss Linton?"

Lilly's eyes narrowed, "Yes I think I can, Mr. Ambrose."

The way she said my name made it sound like it was some sort of insult. This woman made absolutely no sense. She faints, and I carry her against my better judgement, and now she seemed upset with me.