chapter ten - part one

Ambrose's POV

"One step at a time, Miss Linton," I replied to her.

"Of course. You're right," she nodded.

I know I'm right.

That was what I would have normally said. Actually, normally I would be surprised at her ever agreeing with me. But instead, for some inexplicable reason, I did something I had not planned on doing. Taking a few strides toward her, I softly grabbed her arms and planted a small kiss on her forehead. To my surprise she did not jerk away or try to hit me, she only stood there and looked at me.

"Goodnight," I said before she could have any sort of reaction.

I turned around and swiftly made my way to my bedroom, hoping that she would not shout my name or try to get my attention. Thankfully, she didn't.

I had a feeling I would not be getting much sleep that night, and as usual I was correct. However, instead of not getting enough sleep because of work, I was thinking about a girl. Strange as it seemed, instead of trying to push those thoughts to the very back of my mind, I was okay with them.

Since I could not sleep, I decided to get something to drink to help distract myself from all the thoughts going through my mind. Getting up, I lit the candle on the bedside table, walked over to the bedroom door and slowly pulled it open.

"Ah!" Lilly yelped, jumping back.

Despite being startled as well, I kept my composure, "What are you doing here?"

"Er-um, I was bored?"

It sounded like more of a question than an answer.

I raised an eyebrow, "And how does that affect me, exactly?"

"Well, I thought maybe you'd still be up"

"And what did you plan on doing if I was still up?"

"Uh...I don't know."

"Hmm," I pretended to think for a second, "I can think of something we can do that is not quite boring."

"Yes?" her inquisitive eyes asked me.

I quickly pulled her in with my free hand and kissed her very softly on the lips. We remained like that for almost a full minute, and my hand reached up to stroke her face. Finally, after almost another thirty seconds had passed, Lilly pushed gently away from me.

"That's not what I had in mind at all," she shook her head.

"You didn't bring any other ideas to the table," I countered.

"I suppose you earned that kiss," she teased.

"I suppose I did," I had to stop myself from nearly smiling.

When a few moments passed and she did not say anything more, I decided that it would be best if both of us went to sleep before we found other things to do in our boredom.

"Miss Linton, I think it best we both go to sleep and talk in the morning."

"That sounds tine," she replied quickly, turning away but not before I spotted the warm blush in her cheeks.

Morning came very quickly. I wasn't sure when I fell asleep or how I fell asleep, but it seemed that the next thing I knew, I was waking up.

    "Karim," I called out. After getting dressed, I was in the parlor looking for my bodyguard.

Not hearing a reply I took towards the kitchen to find something quick to eat, probably an apple.

    "Sahib," Karim came into the kitchen shaking snow off his shoes from outside.