chapter twenty - part two

Ambrose's POV

"We need to act as if these past few days never happened," I said decidedly.

Lilly's jaw did not fall open. She did not scream in horror. Neither did she slap me across the face. Instead her reaction was calm, almost too calm after she had spent half of the weekend being angry with me.

"Okay," she nodded slowly.

Okay," I repeated back to her, "Just okay?"

"Just okay."

"So I am your employer and you are my employee. Nothing more, nothing less. Are we on the same page?"

"Oh, we are so on the same page," she agreed, even smiling.

"You will not go home crying will you, Miss. Linton?"

"Sir, you have devastatingly overestimated my feelings for you if you believe you are worth soaking my fresh sheets in tears for."

I felt my lips twitch. That was a blow. But she couldn't be serious, could she? I knew she would not be thrilled by my words, but I also was not expecting her harsh rebuttal.

"Then, I suppose all is well," I got up from my chair, walked over to the door, opened it and gestured for her to leave.

"All is very well, Mr. Ambrose," she smiled sweetly at me.

Strange. She should be decidedly angry at the way I was treating her right now. But before I could get another word out, she was out of my office.

Lilly's POV

I actually felt calm and unsurprised when I got home. Surprising right? At first, I had wanted to wring his neck. Then, it hit me, what had I been expecting in the first place? Did I think he was going to ignore all proprietary and make me his, while under his employ? Did I think that everything would suddenly change and he would regard women as an equal sex? This was still Mr. Ambrose we were talking about. Despite any changes or revelations in his feelings towards me, he was still the same uptight man with his stony stature, and stoic glares. I couldn't expect much from a man like that.

Drifting off to sleep that night, my mind wandered to an alternate universe. One where Ambrose and I had met as just a man and a woman. What would happen then?

author's note: this is soooo short because I actually had no intentions of posting a new part that wasn't going to be the last chapter of the story. however, I got 200k reads and wanted to say thank you so I posted this short part to disguise this long authors note as an actual chapter. So this is a short segway into the LAST CHAPTER OF THIS STORY (AHHHHH). i have the last chapter all planned out and I already know I'm going to get some, "Mr. Ambrose would never do that/act like that" comments but I'm doing it the way I want to do it. The last chapter will be posted around Dec 31st or so, so be on the lookout.

p.s. I'd always see cheesy notes on wattpad, instagram, youtube etc. where people would gush over reaching a certain number of reads, followers, subscribers, and I always thought it was silly. Like who cares? But now, as I'm literally CRYING while typing this out because I got to 200,000 reads on this story, I totally understand. Thank you so, so, much for liking this story and supporting it.