Chapter 2

A couple of hours later (7:00 AM) Scarlet woke up with a start to the deafening screaming and the mocking laughter of her sister Judie. Judie ran around the house shouting, "LOOK AT SCARLET, SHE LOOKS LIKE A RIGHT IDIOT! QUICK, TAKE A PICTURE BEFORE SHE WAKES UP!" Bewildered, Scarlet looked around her. "AchooooOOO!" She sneezed so violently that it caused her to shake really bad and made her trip over her duvet, which was lying on the floor, and then she banged her foot on the table leg, missing the razor by inches. "OWWWW! MY FOOT! IT HURTS! OWWWW!" As much as it hurt, she wasn't surprised; things like this happens a lot, she was born clumsy. Scarlet limped her way to the table holding her foot when she looked in the mirror. Her face turned from crying into complete utter shock. Her hair was ruined. She just stared at herself in the mirror and the house was silent. Her sister and her brother were outside by the door. "I think she realised," said her brother, Matthew. Judie looked at him and said sarcastically, "Nah, you don't say." They left to go to have breakfast whilst Scarlet freaked out in her bedroom. She tried putting on a hat but it ended up showing, she tried to style it so it didn't look to bad but that made it worse. Anything she did made it worse. She put on her school uniform – which was mostly black and white with a black and green tie – and added on a beanie with the school badge sown on it and brought a raincoat which luckily had a hood on it. She came to the kitchen looking down and embarrassed at what happened. Taking her cereal bowl and sitting at the far end of the kitchen away from everyone else. She ate in silence. They ate in silence. Until her mum and dad and Matthew went to drop him of at his nearby primary school. Judie looked at her and thought for a second before laughing her head off and saying, "What were you thinking! It's your first day and you decide to do, well, that!" Scarlet started to tremble, and start to cry again, "I DIDN'T DO IT YOU DID! IT WAS ALL YOU! SEE YOU'RE LAUGHING!"
"It wasn't me OK, I didn't do it, why would I do something like that?"

"Because you're evil, that's what you always do!"

"Well, maybe shaving your hair off caused you memory loss because I remember us having great fun!" Judie was laughing so much she was crying her eyes out.

Scarlet was out of her mind, she knew that Judie was messing with her but she had to fight back and keep what is left of her dignity, "OK, let me give you a quick recap: I was 8, I was sick, mum and dad weren't here and then you went off and said you were 'going to school' but I know you didn't because you arrived at 7PM – "

"Ah, yes, you were very sick then Scarlet, me and my friends went to the cinema to watch the Twilight film and then we went to Chloe's house and then we watched the entire Twilight Saga. My friends called it Twilight Day and it's been a tradition since. Oooh! Remind me about that because it's coming up soon."

"NO! No I will not you know why? Because you're a bad sister. Do you remember when you spread rumours that I liked Andrew the boy in my class and I didn't and I got beat up by Katrina and the gang because of it! That was your fault! You enjoy me suffering! So it would be pretty logical to accuse you of doing this!" Scarlet walked out of the kitchen with rage burning inside of her and she walked out of the house to a hair shop. She went and bought a wig witch looked really well. It was her only option, her other option was to be mocked and bullied on the first day and she didn't want that. After she had paid for a brown wig witch was straight with a fringe with it she went back home to see that Judie had gone and her grandmother was awake. She tried to be optimistic and upbeat before entering her Nan's bedroom, "Good morning Nan! Sleep well tonight?"

"Yes, dear. What was all that shouting that was going on?" Nan gave me this cold look as if to say 'tell the truth to me'. I sighed and explained everything.

Nan looked at me and told me to come closer. Then she grabbed me by the shoulders and said, "Why does it matter what others think. Be proud of it and nobody will judge you."

"But Nan, you don't understand I-"

"I understand perfectly well. You're not going to wear the wig. Let me drop you off to your new school today, your mum has already gone off to work so she can't complain. I'll make sure you are protected and then after that you have to grow up and protect yourself. Make friends by going to talk to someone, OK dear?"

I smiled, out of all of my family I liked my Nan the best. She was always so funny and understood more than anyone else. "OK Nan. I'll pack." Scarlet snuck into her bedroom and put the wig in her bag. She wanted to do what her Nan said but the wig was going to help.

So she thought.