Chapter 1

"Wake up Scarlet, or you'll be late!" her annoying alarm clock had proclaimed noisily as it always did, she had been awake for an hour so it wasn't much use. It was a quiet day at her cramped apartment she had woke up at 5:00 (VERY EARLY) so she could do her hair. Although there wasn't much Scarlet could do about it. Unfortunately (for Scarlet), Scarlet was the only one in her family with bad hair, the others (her mum, dad, older sister and younger brother) seemed to have manageable hair. Scarlet sighed loudly in frustration, her first day as a secondary girl had arrived, and she was frightened! Her older sister, Judie, didn't help either, she's in Yr9. Judie told her tales of people's heads being dunked into toilets and lunch money stolen by big, bad, bullies, or being hit on the head with a ball during P.E. Whenever Scarlet thought about it, she would shiver like an earthquake. The idea of Secondary School that her evil sister had told her was scary! "Now I know why my Mum was calling me naïve!" she spoke to herself.

Scarlet, who was half-asleep, slowly climb out of bed looked in the mirror to see a tired, gloomy, just-out-of-bed version of herself. Her red hair tangled and messy as ever so she sleepwalked to her parents' bedroom and rummaged around the draws until she found scissors and her Dad's razor and staggered back into her bedroom. Scarlet sat down at her table and started to cut her hair with scissors, first she cut her hair so that she got a frizzy fringe. Snip! Snip! Then she cut of her split ends. Snip! Snip! Then she gave herself an asymmetric cut that was longer on her left side and shorter than her right side but she didn't cut of too much so that it would be drastic, you couldn't really see much because she had long hair, so she cut some more. Snip! Snip! She had a half-hearted smile on her face. Her reflection showed her a new Scarlet with bright red, uneven shaggy-looking hair. Snip! Snip! She started to laugh out loud, cutting her hair until it was spiky everywhere (Snip! Snip!), then she had cut it shorter on the sides and longer at the top so that it looked like she had a mahican. Scarlet then through the scissors to the table and got her Dads razor and plugged it into a nearby socket and brought it closer to the side of her head. Then, she slowly she started to shave the left side of her head. She had fun with it and started to make shapes and letters on her head. By now most of her hair had gone. She smiled and dropped the razor and fell into bed. Asleep at last.