Lights of Hope

"So, how was your meeting with the Steward?" I asked in feigned concern, taking a bite out of an apple. Chewing it noisily, I swallowed before Gandalf shot a look at me. 

     "It was quite detrimental, the Steward has gone mad, and he does not show a shred of concern for his suffering people," Gandalf said heatedly, pacing the room. Throwing a look of undisguised disgust at Pippin, he continued, "and beyond that, this Fool of a Took throws himself in the Steward's service, without a wholly thought of what he was signing onto!" 

    Pippin hung his head, looking abashed, but as our eyes met, I felt a sliver of understanding. "Of course, it did not help that in your audience, you riled up the Steward, making a negative outcome for ours, as well," Gandalf said with a pointed look. 

    I swallowed my apple. "I just stated the truth. The Steward was an inconsiderate bastard who cared only for his well-being. He deserved every single shot I threw him and anyways, it wouldn't have made a difference whether I had come as an air-headed maiden or a saucy warrior, so I don't regret it," I answered, throwing my apple core, so that it sailed across the chamber and out the window. 

      Gandalf sighed, massaging his temple, suddenly looking gaunt and older. "I suppose it doesn't," he sighed, "but I fear deeply for the people of Gondor." 

     I opened my mouth, to possibly console him, but nothing came out. Closing my mouth, I stared into the corner, a sudden realization hitting me across the face. We were alone in this fight. 

   "So, how is the Fellowship?" I asked nonchalantly, picking at my nail. 

   Gandalf turned to face me, a knowing look in his eyes. "Legolas is safe, as is the rest of the Fellowship," he said gently, but suddenly stopped, a glisten of sadness in his eyes. "He is still trying to cope with it," he said softly, "as are you." 

   I made no sound, but turned away, my heart strangely cold and distant. "I asked for the Fellowship, not Legolas," I said coldly, but Gandalf merely gave me a side-long glance, an unfathomable emotion in his eyes. 

    "Very well," Gandalf said briskly, "we have a job to complete. The kingdom of Gondor, alone, can not withstand the power of Mordor. They need Rohan's help, and King Thèoden will only come to aid if the braziers are lit. We must do this." 

    "What happened to the whole 'diplomatic' part of the mission?" I asked, a small trace of amusement on my lips. 

   Gandalf chuckled, "As you said, the Steward is being uncooperative, so we will have to.... force a few circumstances." 

   "So, we are breaking in illegally, lighting the braziers without the Steward's permission, and possibly be outlaws for the rest of our lives?" I asked for clarification, my eyebrow cocked to the side. 

    Gandalf thought about it for a moment before nodding. "Yes, that sounds about right," he replied, a hint of a smile on his face.