Absence [KickThePJ Special] ♥‿♥

• Dedicated to Kristine

It was in the same building where Kristine last saw PJ. The brilliant sunny day gave her the newfound courage to do something else. Every day she waited in the same halls if PJ would decide to stay in the area. She always took those opportunities to talk to him.  And then he just didn’t show up anymore. Her friends have noticed how she has seemed to be depressed for how many months, hoping to just even catch a glimpse of PJ. She knew how busy PJ was and she never knew where to look. She was afraid of the words people might throw at her for acting desperate. She used to be. But now, she walked up to another boy. The boy most girls are obviously attracted to, Greg. Each girl tried to expose as much of their assets so that Greg could take a moment to look at them. A lot of girls have talked to him so much and yet he wouldn’t reply to anything that involves going out on a date.

All the girls looked at Kristine when she approached Greg as he was taking notes from a textbook. Greg looked up at her, none of them saying a word. She let her eyes wander around the perfect physique of the college student. As she found his lips formed into a smirk, she started to speak. “Hey Greg, you want to go out on Saturday?” she asked without skipping a beat. Gasps were heard everywhere. The ladies were outraged when they heard what Greg had just said, “Sure.” as he reached for the phone Kristine was holding in her hand. The confidence that the two of them seemed to have made everyone in the hall shut up. Nobody understood how Greg could have said yes to Kristine, the freaky stick-thin girl who checks the doors every five minutes. Kristine couldn’t believe it herself. Where did she get that confidence? Why did she do it? It was done now. Kristine was going on a date with Greg, with the body that ladies would drop their panties before he could even finish saying “Who wants some of this?”.

“Great! See you on Saturday. I’ll text you the details later.” Kristine said and left the hall with her head high and her back straight. That was another show for the ladies who didn’t think she existed. Kristine was always the type who had her head down when outside the classroom.

She went straight home still thinking about what she did. She was the one who initiated to ask Greg out on a date. She thought she would be getting a rejection when Greg would not even give the time of day to girls who have their gifts to flaunt. Realizing she didn’t think the whole situation through, Kristine still had to decide where he would take him. As she lied down, she saw the ship she drew a few months back posted on her wall. With that, she thought of taking Greg to the pier.

“Meet me at the Pier, Saturday, 5pm.” She texted

“You know, it’s usually the boy who has to go through all this. This is refreshing.”

Kristine stayed on her bed. Her mind suddenly drifted off to PJ. She really misses seeing him. She never had the chance to say, “Hey PJ, you know what? I really like you, like really like you.” She always had the confidence but didn’t take advantage of it often.

The next three days were full of gossips about her. Some people knew who she was and were both equally surprised at how random she decided to come up to Greg and ask him out on a date. Nevertheless, a lot of girls didn’t like it. But Kristine didn’t care, she felt liberated. She no longer felt like the girl who waits around for a guy. People say absence makes the heart grow fonder, but it made Kristine feel bored or just unwanted. Yet, Kristine thought that if she saw PJ, she would just immediately run to his arms and hug him so tight and never let go.

Before everyone knew it, it was Saturday. More people were watching out for the date as if it was as big of an event as the royal wedding. There are just so many people Kristine didn’t know that were hanging on to what happens. The big question still remained, how could Greg have said yes to Kristine?

Nobody actually followed Kristine to the pier and she didn’t see anyone from school. What was heart-breaking was she didn’t see Greg either. She was back to what she always was. Sitting with her mind drifted off somewhere, staring at the entrance, hoping to see someone she deeply cared about. Kristine didn’t feel so much resentment towards Greg. She never actually cared about what was supposed to unfold that night. For someone who values time, she didn’t feel like she wasted so much time for Greg. She just didn’t feel anything, as if in an emotional limbo.

She still continued to do what she had planned. She went on the motorboat without anyone but the driver, who was her cousin, Kendall. He was her only cousin, apart from her parents who actually made boats a source of their living. Kristine started to speak,

“Mom, Dad, I really miss you. I’m on a motorboat! I guess even when I thought of this being the reason you guys are gone, these are still what’s keeping me sane. I feel like a disgrace to the women, mom. Why am I like this? Dad, if you were still here, you would have probably threatened him already. But honestly, I didn’t do it because I’m attracted to him. I just don’t find those buff guys worth my time. They’re like babies, fun to play with but a huge responsibility, or should I say commitment. I never thought of committing to him.” she wiped the tear on her cheek, “I just really want to see PJ. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, right? I just don’t see him anymore and I don’t know where he is.”

When the boat reached the dock, her cousin gave her a huge hug. “If you need anything, you know I’ll be here. I know living in the apartment with my mom can be suffocating. But you know in a less than a year, the both of us can set sail together.”

Kristine walked along the Pier, ready to go back home. Head down, puffy eyes, blotchy face. When she looked up to the exit arch, she saw PJ, standing by the arch. Kristine couldn’t believe it, she couldn’t see clearly with the salt that was still settled in her eyes. She was sure it was PJ as he walked towards her, where her feet decided to stick to. She was surprised with a hug from him. “Did you miss me?” he asked.