Chapter five.

Hey guys, This is a short chapter sorry :( but I hope you like it!! Let me know what you think :) xx

_____________________________________________________________________________

Thursday morning, 12:37 am

*buzz buzz*
Harry stirred a little at the noise, but quickly fell back to sleep. 
*buzz buzz*
Harry groaned and rolled onto his back, now more aware of the noise, but not knowing where it was coming from. 
*buzz buzz*
Harry opened his eyes slowly to see a light projecting onto his roof. He tilted his head and found that his phone screen was lit up. Sighing angrily, he wriggle over to the side of his bed and reached up to answer the phone, just as it was buzzing for the fourth time. 

"Mmm'ello?" Harry mumbled sleepily into the phone, propping himself up on his elbows. 

"Hello, is this a Mr. Harry Styles?" a woman’s voice asked him. Harry nodded his head, but after taking a few seconds to realize that she couldn’t see him, he replied with "Mm'hmm."

"Sorry to call you at this hour sir," the lady said, obviously noticing that Harry was half asleep. "We have you listed as an emergency contact for a Mr. Louis Tomlinson... Is this information correct?" Harry closed his eyes and lay back down on his bed, letting out a sigh. Yes, yes this was right. But if the hospital receptionist was about to ask him to pick Louis up tomorrow... He couldn't do it. He couldn't stand to face his best friend, not while he was keeping a massive secret from him. The thought of having to explain to the receptionist why he couldn't come in, and the pain on Louis' face when the nurse told him that Harry wasn't going to be picking him up.... It hurt Harry too much. He blurted out his next sentence without even thinking. 

"No, I'm sorry, that is the wrong information. I believe his emergency contact is Liam Payne..." Harry regretted giving up his position as 'Emergency Contact' as soon as the words left his lips. The other end of the line seemed to go quiet, as the receptionist overlooked her information with a confused expression. "Oh, I-I'm very sorry to disturb you then, sir." The woman said, feeling horrible for waking him at this hour. "d-do you know his contact information?" she questioned, searching Louis' information and seeing nothing about a 'Liam Payne.' "Uh..." Harry said, trying to remember the older lad’s number. He knew it off by heart, but at 12am he was struggling to get his brain to work. "I'm pretty sure it's... 07503 456563." Harry nodded his head, confirming the number to himself. "Okay, thank you very much Mr. Styles, and sorry again for interrupting your slumber." Harry chuckled at the use of the word slumber, and bid his goodbyes as he hung up the phone, flopping his arm onto his bed. 

Harry let out a deep breath. He lay on his bed for a good 30 minutes, just thinking. He hated being away from Louis, and knew that Louis would be getting upset at the lack of Harry being with him. But Harry was nowhere bear ready to fessing up to Louis. Harry hated to admit it, but his mom was right; his feelings for Eleanor were getting stronger. As soon as he told Louis, Lou would either a) cry and be mad at Eleanor not him, or b) get extremely angry at Harry. So pretty much, there was a 50/50 chance that he would lose his relationship with Louis. And until he knew exactly how to explain himself, he wasn't even going to risk it. Louis meant more than the world to him. He had never had a friend that he was more comfortable around. Louis bought out the best in Harry, and both boys trusted each other with their lives. Their relationship was one of the most honest, loving and surreal relationship you would ever come across. And that's the beauty of Larry Stylinson; the two men treated each other like the most precious thing on earth. But Harry’s heart was breaking. Not because of Eleanor, but because of the way he knew that the news would absolutely tear Louis apart. 

-*-

Harry woke again that morning at 9:18. He snuggled down in his bed, staring at the ceiling attempting to wake himself up. Harry was NOT a morning person. It usually took him several minutes of lying in bed in the mornings to become only half awake. After about 10 minutes of lying in silence, Harry decided to get up. He rolled to the side of his bed, sat up, and ssssttrrrreeeeettttccchhheeedddd. Standing up, he grabbed a hoodie and his phone and headed out of his room. As he walked down the stairs he slipped his hoodie over his curly hair and tugged it down to cover his long torso. He entered the lounge and flopped down on the couch, turning his phone on. He had turned it off after the hospital call last night, mainly because he hated being woken up. As his phone started up he flicked the TV on and searched the channels. Fuzzy, fuzzy, cartoons, news, fuzzy, music videos. He decided on the music videos. At that moment, his mother walked into the lounge room from the kitchen carrying a cup of tea for her son. 

"Morning sleepy!" she greeted him, ruffling his hair. Harry mumbled a sleepy hello, and took the drink from her with a smile. He put it on the coffee table as he felt his phone vibrate. Once, twice, 18 times. Harry looked at his phone in horror. 5 new messages and 13 missed calls.... Crap. He checked the messages first. There were 2 from Liam, 1 from Zayn, 2 from Niall, and 1 from his sister, Gemma. He read Gemma's one first. 

Hey little bro!! I had to rush off to work this morning, but I'll see you when I get home!! Yay!! - Gem xx

He smiled to himself. He hardly ever saw his family, and he was so happy to be spending time with them. Gemma and Harry where really close; they told each otter everything. Gemma was Harry's safety net whenever he had been fighting with Louis. Boy was she gunna need an enormous safety net for tonight’s talk!! He clicked on the message from Liam, bracing himself for a whole lot of caps lock and yelling. 

Harry, where the hell are you?? ANSWER YOUR PHONE. 

Okay, well that wasn't that bad. What did the next one from Liam say? 

Harry this is not funny. Call me back right now. 

Liam must have found out that Harry gave up his emergency contact position. He must be mad because the hospital called him early too. Harry wondered how many of the calls would be from Liam...

Harry? Where the hell are you?? Answer your phone you turd. 

Nice Zayn. Real classy. This text confused Harry though, why was Zayn looking for him too?

Haz mate! Answer yer phone!!  And,  this is urgent bud, pls answer... are what Niall's messages said. Harry furrowed his brow. Why the heck where ALL the boys looking for him? But most of all, why wasn't Louis?

-*-

Liam looked at his phone in frustration, contemplating calling Harry for the 8th time. He felt a hand rest on his shoulder, as he looked up and saw Zayn looking back down at him. "Don't bother mate, he'll call back when he's prepared too. Give him time," Zayn said softly, sitting next to Liam. They sat and stared at Louis, who was lying motionless on his bed in his new location, the ICU ward. A nurse approached them, and Liam stood up to greet her, searching her eyes for answers. 

"Hello, are you Mr. Liam Payne?" the nurse asked, checking her clipboard. Liam nodded hastily at her, silently pleading for her to give him some information about his friend’s condition. He had been called by the receptionist of the emergency department at 1am, who told him that Louis was in ICU and could he please come down. Liam had jumped out of bed and into his car, getting to the hospital as fast as he could. He had been there for 8 hours and had only been told that Louis was unconscious - he didn't even know why. Liam had sat there for the past 8 hours, different scenarios flashing through his mind. He thought maybe something had gone wrong in Louis surgery, and the pain had gotten too much for Louis to handle so his body shut himself down for a bit. But as he was about to find out, it was a bit more serious than that. 

"Your friend Louis here took a bit of a tumble last night. He was found lying motionless on the landing of the stairs at 12:35am, but it seemed that he had been there for a while." Liam’s mouth dropped open and Zayn stared toward the tanned, now very pale male lying on the hospital bed. The nurse continued. "He was fully clothed and had ripped the tubes off if him - who knows what the hell he was thinking - but he took a rather bad fall and gave himself concussion. He's now in a coma, and his heart rate keeps dipping dangerously low. We'll keep an eye on him until he wakes up." Liam stood silently, processing the information. This was serious. Very, very serious. "H-h-how long till he w-wakes up?" Liam said, his mind going blank. All he could think about was the wellbeing of the older male. "Well that's completely up to Louis and his body. When his brain feels like his body is somewhat repaired and ready to function, he will wake up. It may be tomorrow, it may be next week. But you can be sure that we will let you know as soon as there are any improvements or changes in his condition." Liam nodded, thanking the woman as she smiled back at him and left the room. He stood for a minute in the same position, not daring to look at the frail 20 year old on the bed. He had been staring at him all day, but now that he knew just how serious his condition was, he felt sick. The life support Louis was only suddenly meant a lot more than just tubes down his throat. The beeping of the heart monitor suddenly became the only positive in the room. The tear rolling silently down Liam's cheek suddenly meant a lot more than sadness; it meant that his heart had absolutely shattered. 

-*-

Harry stared at the phone in his hand as he sat silently at the kitchen table, waiting for his mother to say something, anything. She sighed and looked up at Harry from where she was standing against the counter. "I think... I think you should call them, Haz. It might be something tour related, but it might be Louis related. And under the circumstance that it is the latter, you have to decide for yourself what you're going to do, because only you know what your heart and mind are saying." She gave Harry a compassionate smile and walked over to where he sat on the stool, wrapping her arms around his shoulders. His hands came up to rest on hers, as she pressed a kiss to his head. "Just remember that whatever happens, you're my baby and I love you very much." She kissed his forehead this time, and then proceeded to leave the room, leaving Harry with his thoughts. He sighed and spun around on the barstool, preparing himself for the phone call he was about to make. He scrolled through his contacts until he found Liam, who was listed as "Leeeeeeum" in his phone. He pressed the number and held the phone to his ear as it began to ring. It rang a second time, then a third. Finally, someone answered.

"Hello, Liam’s phone..?"

"Z-Zayn? Is that you?"

"Harry? Where are you?"

"I'm, Uh, out... Sorry I missed all of your calls, what's the matter?"

He heard Zayn sigh, and his heart tightened. Something was wrong, and Zayn was unsure how to tell him. Zayn was never unsure, he was always very straight-out and blunt - in the nicest way he could be. The fact that he had to think about what to say made Harry's heart beat fast and his brain turn numb. 

"L-L-Louis had a, uh.. An accident..."

Harry’s heart stopped. What did Zayn mean by "an accident"? What the hell happened to Louis? His voice was calm but serious as he spoke. 

"Zayn... What type of accident?" He waited as the other end of the line fell silent. His hands were shaking and his heart felt as if it would explode, but he was trying with all his might to stay calm. The words that left the older males lips next caused Harry to almost fall off his chair. 

"Louis' in the ICU," Zayn blurted out. "He's in a coma and he's on life support and... Oh Harry, you need to come down here. Please please please come down here. I'm so scared. Liam is sitting motionless at the window letting out a few sobs now and again, but... Oh Harry, we need you. Louis needs you. Please come down here Harry. Please please please..." his voice was desperate and rushed as he begged the younger male. Everything he had been worrying about at Shannon's was happening, but it wasn't appendix related. He had promised himself it was going to be okay, but it was anything but okay. Harry sat in shock at the sudden waterfall of words that had absolutely destroyed him. Louis, his Louis, was in the ICU. Broken and incapable, possibly lying on his death bed... Harry’s protective instincts kicked in and he promised Zayn that he would be down as fast as possible. His hands shook furiously as he tried to hang up. He made his way out of the kitchen and into his room, feeling nauseas at the thought of his bed friend, so fragile and unwell. He grabbed a coat and his keys, slipping his phone into his back pocket and heading out to the front door. He called out to his mom that he was going to the hospital. He wasn't sure if she heard him, but he knew she would know where he was. Anne had a way of subtly putting the right answer into her children's minds, so Harry was positive that she could guess that he had gone after Louis. He left the house, closing the door firmly behind him and running to his car. His cold fingers slid under the handle and opened the door, jumping in and finally placing his key in the ignition, after struggling too the first couple if times because of his shaking hands. As he drove out of the driveway, his mind was focused solely on Louis and the unconscious mess he was about to lay his eyes upon.

TBC xx :)