Chapter Six: Surprise

September 25

Emma turned around and in the kitchen door way was Jake.

With tears pooling in Emma's eyes Jake walked the few steps to her and wrapped his arms around her.

With tears coming to his eyes he said, "It's okay baby I'm here now. Shhh..."

Jake slowly pulled back with a wince.

Emma pulled back a little further and noticed a red stain forming at Jake's side. Emma's eyes got big as she frantically asked, "Jake what happened?"

Jake took off his shirt as he moved to the bathroom off of the kitchen. From the bathroom Jake told her, "When I was found I was shot by a native of the land..." Jake paused as Emma came into the bathroom and sat on the toilet, "I had surgery when I got back to base and I must have ripped my stitches."

Jake pulled the bandages back and confirmed that the stitches had ripped. The blood started to soak the top of his pants as he said, "I need to go to the hospital and have this stitched back up. As you coming with me?"

Emma's face was beginning to turn strawberry red from stress. A single tear rolled down Emma's cheek as she said, "I better stay here and rest." Emma got up and went to lay on the couch.

When Jake went to kiss Emma goodbye he found her sound asleep on the couch so he put a cover over her, kissed her forehead, then left,

Hours later when Jake finally got home he noticed the house smelling like hamburger helper. When Jake stepped into the kitchen he discovered Emma at the stove, with one hand on her back and the other stirring the hamburger helper.

He walked up behind her and wrapped his arms around her placing his hands on her stomach. Jake kissed her softly on the neck making Emma's head lean slightly to the side.

With a small giggle Emma said, "Babe we can't do this right now."

Jake whispered against Emma's neck, "I know I just wanted to kiss you."

Emma giggled pushing Jake away playfully then finished up dinner. Dinner went by fast and soon they were in bed fast asleep.