Chapter Two: The Letter

September 5

Emma waited for weeks before she sent another letter,

September 5

Jake,

Its been weeks since I've heard from you. Is everything okay? Me and the baby are fine just worried about you please write soon! I love you honey!

Your Loving Wife,

Emma

It was September 10 when the car pulled up in front of Emma and Jake's home. A man dressed in a Marine uniform stepped out of the car and slowly walked up to the house. Before the Sargent even got to the door, Emma through it open. The Sargent said in a deep voice, "Mrs. Smith I'm Sargent O'Bryan..." there was a pause before he continued, "I regret to say but your husband is MIA (Missing In Action)..."

Emma stared at the Sargent as tears began to stream down her face. Emma hit her knees and felt a sharp pain surge through her leg. The Sargent could tell something had happened because when she hit her knees there was a loud pop. Emma grabbed her stomach as the Sargent pulled out his phone and dialed 911. The ambulance was there within a few minutes and she was taken to Harrison County Hospital.

At the hospital they discovered that Emma had cracked her knee cap in half and would have to be on crutches for a while. They found out that the baby was fine and healthy. When she was released the Sargent took Emma home, told her he was sorry and that he would keep her posted if they found anything. Before he left he handed Emma a letter that said,

September 1

Emma,

I'm sorry its taken me so long to write back. We've been training day and night and haven't gotten much sleep. I found out I'll be back home for Christmas but I'll have to leave again a week or so after. I love you baby and I miss you!

Your Husband,

Jake

Emma held the letter to her chest and cried, the tears coming down like harsh rivers that never end. That night Emma never fell asleep.