Act 8: Her Advancement

"Hello?" You spoke, in an almost inaudible tone. "Good evening." A voice responded, though it was difficult to hear due to the noisy chatter and faint sirens wailing in the background. "Is this miss (Y/N) I'm speaking to?"

Noticing the caller's trembling voice and worried tone, you began to question over just who this person could be.

"Yes, this is (Y/N)." You assured the caller, as you felt the sudden urge to bring up your doubts. "Is something the matter? You don't sound too well. . ."

As that question left your lips, the person on the other side of the phone let out a shaky breath, in a hopeful attempt to calm themselves down. The more you paid attention to their tone the more you began to assume there was something wrong going on where they were currently standing at.

"I'm. . . I'm the mother of your boss, and I wanted to tell you that she. . . She isn't well, and she's currently lying on a hospital bed." The worried mother explained, this time more calmly and audibly. "She wants to send you to another photography agency, since she'll retire as soon as she's treated by the doctor. Now that this has happened. . . She's offered you to stay longer over at Beach City, and you can bring over whatever content you have to your new boss-- right after he returns from his vacation. Basically, she wants you to take your time, and to not worry over her."

"Oh. . ." you mumbled, as you gave thought to the current situation. "But, how is she? And. . . what even happened to her? She was perfectly healthy when she left me at the dock!"

"She. . . She was diagnosed again with lupus."

 "Again?! Is she still early enough to receive full treatment?"

"Fortunately, yes. . . But it will take her much longer to recover from it."

"I see. . ." You paused, as you placed a hand over your forehead and your mind became lost in disbelief. "But, the ship will still arrive tomorrow here, right?"

As much as you wanted to accept your boss' thoughtful offer of taking your time and enjoying yourself, thinking that she could be lying ill on a hospital bed made you worry. You'd gotten to work five full years together with her, and you'd grown a rather strong attachment to her.

She was practically like a second mother to you— the difference being that she actually believed in you. Ever since you arrived at the door of her office, she provided you with a great amount of encouragement you didn't think was possible for a sole human being to give.

Deciding you would reject her offer, you spoke up, breaking the tense silence that'd formed, and explained to her mother that you would visit her at the hospital as soon as you arrived back home.

"Are you sure about your decision? She did want you to take it easy— she was worried that you balancing two jobs at once was going to wear you out."

"Yes, I am completely sure. Thank you for letting me know about this, and take care, ma'am."

With those last words, you ended the call, being left with a wave of worry running through your body. You could only hope for the best in regards of her health, and that you would be able to visit her to show your gratitude for everything she'd provided you with.

If it weren't for her, you wouldn't have met with neither Steven or his kind and welcoming father. You wouldn't have had the opportunity to meet new people, nor to encounter with the copper-haired woman that had given a whole new spark to your life, and who ignited your passion for drawing again.

Without the help of your boss, you would still be all alone— still afraid to create any sort of attachment with others, mainly due to your past experiences.

You were going to go back to your home. You were going to give your regards to your boss, and only then would you decide which path you would take. Luckily, however, there was still time to spare before your ship arrived at the dock. You were still on the semifinal day of your travel, and there was a whole evening left for you to explore.

"Th- Thank you for waiting. . ." You muttered, once you returned to where Steven and his father were standing at. "And I apologize for the wait— this took a bit longer than I expected it to."

"That's okay!" Steven exclaimed, as he flashed a reassuring smile towards you, and dismissed your worry with a friendly wave of his hand. "But. . . Are you okay? You didn't seem too happy with the call."

"Yes. . . I'm good." You responded, as you gave him the most bright and honest smile you could give at the given moment. "It's just. . . someone I care about fell ill, and she had to be sent to a hospital. I hope to see how she's doing tomorrow, though."

"Do you want to walk with us to our home?" Greg offered, noticing your worried features and doubtful tone of voice. "It can help you get your mind off things for a while."

"Well, if it isn't of much trouble, I'd be glad to."

As that response left your lips, Greg and his son quickly took action by gesturing you to follow them. Shyly, you approached them, yet as you continued to walk next to them, you began to loosen up. You followed them all the way towards their home, in a search for both distraction and enjoyment.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

After a fifteen minute-long walk together, you were now standing in front of their home. Unlike yesterday, the environment was calm, and aside from the afro-haired woman resting her back against the front wall of the house, there wasn't anyone else close by.

You observed how peaceful everything was, and as you did, you began to relax and regain your composure. In just a few minutes of arriving here, you were feeling much better, and your mind had stopped over-thinking as much.

As you exchanged some words with both Steven and Greg, the sound of a nearby door creaking open made for your gaze to shift away from the conversation, and for it be placed to a stop. You noticed that Pearl had been the one to exit their home, and she was currently heading your way. Her gaze was focused and observant, and it made you wonder just what was going through her mind.

As she walked forward and went down the stairs, she received a quick thumbs up from Garnet, and afterwards, a loud voice boomed from inside the home saying 'Go for it, P!'

Curious as to what the woman was going to do, you kept silent, and waited for her to continue walking forward. As she arrived closer to your side, you noticed how her blue eyes carried a strange glow over them. She seemed to have something settled in her mind, while her gaze showed an emotion similar to that of understanding.

Finally, she came to a stop, now standing a mere two feet away from you. She slowly began to extend her hand, as a gentle, somewhat warm smile began to appear over her pale features. Her posture was firm, and the look she was directing towards you showed that she was determined to speak, or rather, share a moment with you.

"(Y/N). . . Would you care to dance with me?" Pearl offered, as her hand stood before you— patiently in wait for your response.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Up Next: A dance with Pearl!
This update shall arrive on either Saturday or Sunday.

Hope you enjoyed!